DOH adopts CDC guidance for booster shots

The state Department of Health announced Tuesday it is adopting the most recent guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding COVID-19 booster shots.

Effective immediately, people who received their first booster shot at least four months ago may receive a second booster shot of an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna) if: They are over the age of 50; they are 12 or older and have a compromised immune system; they received primary and booster doses of Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

“Additional booster shots allow people in these select populations to get extra protection against severe illness. A second booster can be especially beneficial for people 65 and older and those 50 and older with underlying medical conditions,” Health Director Elizabeth Char said in a statement.

“About 55% of people in Hawaii eligible for their first booster shot have received it,” she said. “We strongly recommend the other 45% get their booster shot soon. Those now eligible for a second booster should determine the right time to get the extra protection another dose will provide. Anyone unsure about getting a second booster can consult their health care provider.”

COVID-19 vaccination and testing options are available at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email