KTA Super Stores is bringing “Happy Days” back to Hawaii Island’s seniors as it launches a whole month of kupuna appreciation activities across its seven stores.
During the month of September, KTA shoppers help fund a donation that benefits the Hawaii County Parks &Recreation Elderly Division and their 24 islandwide senior clubs. In addition, KTA will host contests and provide tips for supporting kupuna on their social media throughout the month.
When the COVID-19 pandemic hit in March 2020, all clubs were suspended to ensure the safety and well-being of the seniors. The clubs were scheduled to reopen in August 2021, but the rapid rise in COVID-19 cases due to the Delta variant has resulted in a delay in the reopening.
These fundraising efforts will, with the support of the community, help ensure that when the clubs are able to reopen that they are able to fully meet all of the recreational, emotional and support needs of the kupuna.
“Due to COVID-19, a lot of kupuna have been isolated and without socialization, many times resulting in them feeling depressed and alone. While they still aren’t able to go back to ‘normal’ and Senior Clubs still aren’t able to open, the community can still find safe ways to support them. Our kupuna have done so much for us over the years, it’s time to be there for them,” said Derek Kurisu, executive vice president of KTA Super Stores.
Highlights of the promotion include:
• Special weekly sales will run in all KTA stores across the island from this Wednesday through Oct. 5. Shoppers can visit ktasuperstores.com/savings to learn about each weekly sale.
• Two Instagram contests throughout the month for a chance to win one of six $100 KTA gift cards.
• Kupuna Appreciation Photo Contest: The photo contest will run from Sept. 1 through Sept. 12. Participants should celebrate kupuna and remember their “happy days” with them by posting a photo with #KTAHappyDays on their public Instagram profile, as well as follow and tag @ktasuperstores (must be a Hawaii Island resident and posting on a public profile to enter; for complete contest rules and regulations visit ktasuperstores.com/promotions).
• Sept. 12 is National Grandparents Day. Follow KTA’s Instagram, Facebook and Twitter pages to find tips on how to celebrate grandparents and seniors.
• Happy Days Bingo: The Bingo challenge will run from Sept. 20 to Sept. 30. Participants should screenshot the Bingo card posted in KTA’s Instagram (@ktasuperstores) Stories on Sept. 20. They should then show off how they bring “happy days” to their kupuna by circling as many Bingo spaces as apply. Once completed, they should post the Bingo card to their stories and tag @ktasuperstores by midnight on Sept. 30 (must be a Hawaii Island resident and posting on a public profile to enter; for complete contest rules and regulations visit ktasuperstores.com/promotions).