The National Weather Service has issued a flood advisory for Ka‘u and Puna and the interior of Hawaii Island.
A flood advisory means localized flooding may occur.
Rainfall is being reported at a rate of 1 to 2 inches an hour in Volcanoes National Park and the Pahala area, according to Civil Defense.
Due to the flood advisory, the following are issued:
· Stay away from streams, drainage ditches, and low lying areas prone to flooding.
· Rainfall and runoff can cause hazardous driving conditions due to ponding, reduced visibility and poor braking conditions.
· Be aware that road closures may occur without notice.
· Do not attempt to cross flowing water; turn around don’t drown.
· Be on the alert for malfunctioning traffic signals. Please treat flashing traffic lights as a four-way stop.
The advisory is in effect until 4:15 p.m. today unless extended.