A series of public informational meetings about the county’s solid waste woes that were to be held this week have been postponed.
Last week, the county Department of Environmental Management’s Solid Waste Division scheduled 11 meetings throughout the island to discuss the changes in the division’s waste management plans.
However, the division announced Monday that the four meetings to be held this week — in Na‘alehu, Captain Cook, Hilo and Waimea — have been postponed, citing “unexpected emergencies.”
The meetings were to discuss the operating schedules of county waste facilities, which have been in a state of flux for several months.
The county has not yet announced new dates for the postponed meetings.
The remaining seven meetings are still scheduled to take place between Jan. 21 and 30. Those meetings will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. on:
• Jan. 21 — Honokaa Gym, 45-541 Lehua St., Honokaa.
• Jan. 22 — Keaau Community Center, 16-186 Pili Mua St., Keaau.
• Jan. 23 — Mountain View Gym, 18-1345A Volcano Road, Mountain View.
• Jan. 24 — West Hawaii Civic Center Community Hale, 74-5044 Ane Keohokalole Highway, building G, Kailua-Kona.
• Jan. 27 — Pahoa Neighborhood Center, 15-3022 Kauhale St., Pahoa.
• Jan. 28 — Kohala Intergenerational Center, 54-382 Kamehameha Park Road, Kapaau.
• Jan. 30 — Laupahoehoe Point Gym, 36-1041 Laupahoehoe Point Road, Laupahoehoe.