KAILUA-KONA — With so many people in Kona for the Ironman World Championship, being prepared by allotting extra time for travel and knowing which routes are closed is key this week.
“The public should be aware that during this time they should be extra cautious and allow extra travel time to ensure a safe and stress free arrival to their destination,” said Hawaii Police Department Kona Patrol Lt. Paul Bugado.
For more information, call the Ironman Road Closure Hotline at 334-3400.
Here is a breakdown of road closures for the 41st installment of the triathlon:
At Kailua Pier:
• Kailua Pier and Kaahumanu Place access is restricted to vehicles bearing an Ironman pier pass from 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
• Section between King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel and Hualalai Road closed 7:30-8 a.m. Thursday for the annual Underpants Run.
• Section between Likana Lane and Kailua Pier closed 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday through Sunday. Section from Likana Lane to Hualalai Road closed 9 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday through Sunday. Alii Drive will be closed 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday between Hualalai Road and Laaloa Avenue.
• Section between Alii Drive and Kuakini Highway closed 6:30 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday through Sunday. Access to parking areas restricted.
• Section between Palani Road and Makala Boulevard closed 6:30 a.m.-6:15 p.m. Saturday; northbound traffic won’t be allowed between Palani and Hualalai roads from 6:30 a.m.-noon, with southbound lanes closed from 10 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday through Sunday. Section between Palani Road heading south toward Kahakai Estates be open to local traffic only 6:30-10:45 a.m. Saturday.
• Section of between Kailua Pier and King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel closed from 6 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday to Sunday. Area between the hotel and Kuakini Highway and makai-bound lanes between Kuakini and Queen Kaahumanu highways closed from 6 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday to Sunday. Mauka-bound lanes between the two highways closed 6:30 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday to Sunday.
• Stretch between Kuakini and Queen Kaahumanu highways closed 6:30 a.m.-6:15 p.m. Saturday.
Queen Kaahumanu Highway:
• Section between Henry Street and Kaiminani Drive closed from 6:30 a.m.-1 a.m. Saturday to Sunday.
• Section from Kaiminani Drive to Kawaihae Road closed from 7 a.m.-6:15 p.m. Saturday.
Akoni Pule Highway:
• Closed 8 a.m.-4:15 p.m. Saturday between the junction with Kawaihae Road and Hawi.
Email Chelsea Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org.