State briefs for July 11

Police: Woman, 90, dies after assault during home burglary

WAILUKU, Maui — A 90-year-old Maui woman died following an assault during a burglary, police said.

ADVERTISING


Police said Jacqueline Oberheim died as a result of her injuries from the June 20 assault.

Authorities did not say when Oberheim died.

Oberheim was sleeping in her apartment in the Harbor Lights apartment complex in Maui at the time of the burglary and assault, said Maui Police Lt. Gregg Okamoto.

Authorities originally brought burglary charges against 35-year-old Lewellyn I. Foster Jr., 26-year-old Aaron A.K. Wilsey and 29-year-old Chery M. Moniz. The case has been reclassified as second-degree murder, authorities said.

Foster additionally was charged with first-degree robbery and first-degree assault. Wilsey also was charged with second-degree robbery, second-degree theft and first-degree unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle involving a different victim, authorities said.

All three pleaded not guilty in court July 3.

Foster was detained without bail, Wilsey was detained on $250,000 bail and Moniz’s bail was set at $50,000, according to court records.

Pearl Harbor survivor dies at age 103 in Florida

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — One of the oldest survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack has died at age 103.

Doug Iscovitz says his father, Joseph Iscovitz, died Tuesday at a South Florida nursing home.

The younger Iscovitz says his father could see the faces of the Japanese pilots as they dropped bombs around the naval base near Honolulu, Hawaii, in 1941. Joseph Iscovitz was a supply sergeant who oversaw weapons. His son says they were woefully unprepared for the attack and feared a land invasion. He said his father helped put barbed wire along Waikiki Beach.

Iscovitz, who also fought in the Korean War, will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

His wife died in 2000 after 56 years of marriage. He is survived by four sons.

Trash piling up as Honolulu begins bulk item pickup program

HONOLULU — Honolulu residents are complaining about trash piling up because of the city’s new bulky item pickup program.

The program launched last month has resulted in garbage piles in front of residences and schools.

The city in April informed more than 70,000 residents of single-family homes and multi-unit residential buildings about new collection procedures.

Single-family homes are limited to five bulky items per collection, while multiunit buildings may schedule up to 20 items, officials said.

Pickups must be scheduled online or by calling the city Department of Environmental Services.

“We’re trying to change bad behavior, so our crews are not canvassing every street and lane looking for material. Through a deliberate process of feedback and follow-up, the department is hoping to change the illegal behavior associated with bulky item pickups, whether that is being done unknowingly or purposefully,” said Timothy Houghton, deputy director of the Honolulu Environmental Services Department

Beginning in August the city plans to change its multiunit procedures to allow tenants to make their own appointments instead of requiring them to go through property owners or managers, officials said.

The city placed 2,800 stickers on illegally dumped items last month but issued only 10 warnings.

The program scheduled through the end of January has reduced the material put out for collection, officials said.

ADVERTISING


Critics want the city to rethink the program, which they claim is creating eyesores, sidewalk impediments and hygiene and safety issues.

“It’s ridiculous. I’m seeing trash all over,” said tour bus driver Robert Gatewood. “Something has to be done. It’s getting so nasty everywhere.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.