Waiakea High School Career and Technical Education students excelled at the 2019 Hawaii State Career and Technical Student Organization Convention that took place Feb. 25-27 at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu.
DECA, HOSA and Skills USA conferences are targeted, highly-focused learning experiences for students in the fields of business, health, automotive and digital media industries. These conferences bring student members into the business industry while providing unique opportunities to extend classroom learning.
The state CTSO convention connects with professionals to engage students in learning industry-related trends and content. Waiakea High School DECA, HOSA and Skills USA students competed in various competency and performance-based events and exams in marketing, retail merchandising, medical terminology, nursing assistant, applied technical math, prepared speech, automotive technician written and practical testing and digital media.
The following Waiakea students received awards:
• Kevin Li, marketing communications, Role Play Medallion, first place exam, finalist medal, second-place trophy.
• Meghan Nagai, business services marketing, second place exam.
• Mika Odaira, retail merchandising, second place exam.
• Miya Yanagisawa, business services marketing, Role Play Medallions.
• Chelsea Nguyen, medical math fourth place.
• Ella Johnson, Jennifer Nakano and Stacy Watkins, biomedical debate team, fourth place.
Li and Nguyen will represent the state of Hawaii and participate on a national level at their respective conferences in Orlando, Fla.; the DECA International Career Development Conference is in April and HOSA International Leadership Conference is in June.