VAC announces quilt show Viewer’s Choice award

Volcano Art Center is proud to announce the Viewer’s Choice award from the third biennial quilt show, Quilts in the Forest – Winds of Change. The award goes to Phan Nguyen Barker for her work titled “Light and Shadow.”

Na ʻAumakua on display at VAC Gallery

The Volcano Art Center is proud to announce that its 2020 exhibition schedule will resume after many COVID-19 related disruptions. The Hawai‘i Nei Invitational Exhibition, this year titled, Na ‘Aumakua, will be on display 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday through Sept. 13 at the VAC gallery in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

Hometown Heroes: Fund donates $40,000 to support four Big Island schools

The Hawaii Learning Resource Fund at Hawaii Community Foundation recently distributed $40,000 to help four Hawaii Island schools address COVID-19 impacts in the coming school year. The recipient schools are Waimea Middle Public Conversion Charter School, Waimea Elementary School, Kanu O Ka ‘Aina New Century Public Charter School and Waimea Country School.

Let’s Talk Food: Beef tendons

My friend Amy asked me to write about tendons as her friend said she eats it because growing up in Waipio Valley, her mother fed her that so she would have no problem walking up and down the steep road.

AAUW awards four scholarships

The American Association of University Women — Hilo Branch recently awarded four scholarships to women attending the University of Hawaii at Hilo and Hawaii Community College.