Let’s Talk Food: Cooking with children

With the children off for the summer, this is a good time to cook with them and teach them some culinary skills. It is something very important to me as eventually they will be on their own and if they can cook, you need not worry about them. Artemis, age 5, told me she wanted me to teach her how to cook so she will have 100 boyfriends.

Volcano Watch: Petrologists gather to discuss challenges and goals in understanding Kilauea chemistry

During the most active portion of their life cycle, called the shield stage, Hawaiian volcanoes erupt frequently and mostly produce a rock type called basalt. Basaltic lava flows formed during the shield stage make up the majority of the rock of the Hawaiian Islands. Kilauea, one of the world’s most active volcanoes, is a modern example of a volcano in the shield-building stage.

HFS awards $45,000 in scholarships to students

This year, 10 scholarships were awarded by HFS Federal Credit Union to graduating Big Island high school seniors and five scholarships to current college students attending a two-year, four-year or graduate program.

Public invited to attend free CERT training course

Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency has scheduled a free two-day Community Emergency Response Team Basic Training (CERT) course from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 20, and Sunday, July 21, at the Old Kohala District Courthouse in Kapaau in North Kohala.

Presentation today about invasive beetle

The Hilo County Farm Bureau and the state Department of Agriculture will present, “Coconut rhinoceros beetle: pest threat and response” from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. today at Hawaii Community College in Hilo.

Event Saturday will honor Correa, dedicate ballfield

To honor the enduring legacy of James “Jimmy” Correa — affectionately known as the “Father of Hilo Baseball” — a dedication ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Francis Wong Stadium within the Ho‘olulu Complex.