Ambassadors sought for Vibrant Hawaii program

GANDOLF
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Vibrant Hawaii is recruiting its next cohort of youth Ambassadors aged 18-24.

The Ambassadorship is a 4-month work-based learning-intensive program designed for those taking a “gap year” who care deeply about Hawaii Island and want to build skills and develop practices that will support career goals in public service, social services and organizational leadership.

The program aims to provide participants with hands-on experience working for and with the community.

“Our goal is to foster a generation of alaka‘i (leaders) who are not only skilled but also possess the character and courage to make meaningful contributions to our Hawaii Island community,” said Amylia-Rae Gandolf, ‘OAKA coordinator at Vibrant Hawaii.

Candidates interested in joining the next cohort are invited to submit their cover letter and resume, along with one personal or professional reference, to oaka@vibranthawaii.org by Feb. 1.

Further details about the program can be found at www.vibranthawaii.org/oaka.

Past Ambassadors have praised the program.

Benjamin Rudo, a 20-year-old student born and raised in Keaau, is currently pursuing a degree in chemistry and biology at UH-Hilo. Reflecting on his ambassadorship, he said “This has easily been one of the most life-changing experiences I’ve ever had. And only for the better. I’m forever grateful and truly wish all youth were provided this opportunity.”

Cienna Marie Corpuz, a 22-year-old born and raised in Pepeekeo, is one of Vibrant Hawaii’s recent Ambassadors. She graduated from Waiakea High School in 2019 and earned her bachelor’s degree in psychology from San Diego State University in May 2023. “My experience as an Ambassador has truly helped me build confidence along my journey,” she said. “The people I’ve met through this internship have done an amazing job supporting and empowering me every step of the way.”

Trevondrick Francis, 22, raised on the Hamakua Coast, graduated from Honokaa High School in 2019. In May 2023, he earned a bachelor’s degree in Psychology and a certificate in education. “Every day, I found myself smiling because I worked in an environment that allowed me to gain experience, build connections, and expand my knowledge after college,” he said.

For further information, please contact oaka@vibranthawaii.org.

Vibrant Hawaii is a social mobilization organization that aims to advance equity and prosperity and ensure access to resources for Hawaii island’s residents through a culturally relevant framework. To learn more, visit www.vibranthawaii.org.