VAC announces Kamehameha exhibit winners

Swipe left for more photos

Courtesy photo 'Tribute to Kamehameha,’ by Jeff Roth.
Courtesy photo ‘Homage To The King,’ by Laura Walker.
Courtesy photo Detail of ‘Law of The Splintered Paddle,’ by Carl F.K. Pao.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The Volcano Art Center is proud to announce the award winners selected by jurors Desiree Moana Cruz and Nicole Nione from nearly 40 submissions to the exhibition ‘Honoring King Kamehameha.’

The first place award goes to Carl F.K. Pao for his 60-inch x 40-inch, acrylic painting titled “Law of The Splintered Paddle.”

Says Pao, “The work itself is the actual words of Kamehameha’s famous and enduring the Law of the Splintered Paddle. The geometric shapes are both the positive and negative spaces of the abstracted Hawaiian words/letters of his proclamation. The choice of red and yellow signify the colors of the ali‘i and their mana and kuleana.”

“Tribute to Kamehameha,” a hand-carved koa wood sign by Jeff Roth, has been designated the second place award. The sculpture measuring 42 inches x 18 inches incorporates the qualities of the Great King including being bombastic, rustic, charming and graceful claims Roth.

“In this piece of koa wood I hand carved a chant I learned from my students while substitute teaching at Ke Ana La‘ahana public charter school. The chant is named ‘Ku I Kamana’, I used the first 2 lines: ‘Ku I Kamana Ku, Ku I Ka mana mana,” said Roth.

The third place award goes to Laura Walker for a handmade fabric wrist cuff displaying King Kamehameha’s image titled “Homage To The King.”

Walker says she wanted the cuff to look royal with its rich colors, fabric and jewels. “The person who wears this piece should say, I honor King Kamehameha and I want others to know,” she said.

Honorable Mention awards were also given to four keiki entries including; “Princess Nahi‘ena‘ena” by Bergamot Fossel, “Hawaiian Gourd Helmet” by Ailia Gillingwater, “Motherly Love” by Emslie Roberts, and “Another Side of Greatness” by Te Rerehau Pao-Tamaira.