Let’s Talk Food: Let’s eat healthy

Quentin’s dinner of vegetables, soba noodles and roasted salmon. (Audrey Wilson/Courtesy photo)
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

According to Conde Nast Traveler, the ten healthiest countries in the world are as follows:

1. Italy

2. Singapore

3. Iceland

4. Hong Kong

5. Finland

6. Taiwan

7. New Zealand

8. Australia

9. Monaco

10. Norway

The bad news is that America is number 45. Much is based on the lifestyles of those people in that country, clean water, clean air and high life expectancy.

The life expectancy of these countries is in the late to mid 80s. In America, our life expectancy for men is 73.5 years and women, 79.3 years.

According to Anchored in Health, 60% of the American diet is made up of processed foods and what we are eating is literally killing us. We are not eating wholesome foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds but because of the convenience, we are picking up packaged foods filled with artificial flavors and colors, salt, sugar and preservatives.

Yes, I totally understand the situation. My grandchildren’s week is made up of soccer three times a week and karate twice a week. But I am fortunate that I have the time and enjoy making meals from scratch before they are off to practice and when they are done, a home-cooked meal is waiting for them.

Yes, there are days that are hectic and the temptation to eat out is there, but it is not often.

If there is a celebration, we do go out to eat. But we make sure the grandchildren fill at least half of their plates with a salad.

We can make changes in our food selections to improve our poor rating and become a healthier country.

Eating unprocessed foods such as fish, fruits, vegetables and eggs as much as possible is a first attempt to eat healthy.

Read the labels on processed foods. Are there industrial formulations with five or more ingredients? A 2016 study found that unfortunately, this has become the American diet with salt, sugar, oils, fats and preservatives. The study went on to include anything that used additives to imitate the qualities of “real” food. These additives may add flavor but are likely to increase the risk for many health problems.

Many frozen ready-to-eat foods have either salt or preservatives to extend their shelf life. If you love fried chicken, bake it instead and coat the chicken with crushed corn flakes.

My grandchildren love pasta but switching to whole wheat or soba noodles, and then adding vegetables like carrots, mushrooms and peppers and lean chicken breast would make the dish a healthier one. When I make pasta sauce or tacos, I always shred a whole carrot into sauce and the children love it. Carrots give some sweetness without adding sugar and when cooked with the onions and ground chicken or turkey, it blends beautifully into the finished dish.

When ordering pizza, one slice is equal to an entire meal’s worth of calories. A deep dish pizza has even more calories. It is best to order thin crust with low fat cheese, roasted vegetables and lean meats.

When butter, cheese, bacon and sour cream is added to a baked potato, that innocent potato becomes a heart attack inducer. Skip the butter, use fat-free sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and low-fat cheese instead.

And speaking of potatoes, fried French fries are an American favorite but baked potato wedges, possibly cooked in an air fryer, are a better alternative. Poutine is a French Canadian favorite and loaded with artery-clogging cheese over French fries, then covered with gravy! That dish can be eliminated from our diets.

You can enjoy nuts, but they should be dry roasted and unsalted instead of beer nuts or honey-coated ones. Eating dry roasted, unsalted peanuts in the shell will keep your hands busy, making you eat less, according to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Diets rich in monounsaturated fats in raw, unsalted peanuts reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by roughly 21%.

We used a lot of margarine when I was growing up, but it has trans fats, highly-processed oils such as palm and soy bean oil, and should not be used.

Your cup of coffee in the morning is healthy with zero to 5 calories, but when you start to add fancy syrup, whipped cream and top it with whipped cream, then drizzle with caramel or chocolate sauce, you suddenly bring zero calories up to 500 calories!

Large milkshakes could have several cups of ice cream and could be over 3,000 calories. Fruit smoothies are a better choice.

Our breakfast cereal is a popular item in the morning, but avoid brands with more than 12 grams of sugar per one cup serving. Cheerios has 2 grams and granola about 9 grams of sugar. Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Frosted Flakes have 12 grams of sugar.

Processed meats such as deli meat, hot dogs, sausages and cured meats are high in sodium, preservatives and saturated fats. According to Healthline studies, people who eat processed meats frequently are at higher risks of developing colon cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. While studies are observational, there is a strong, consistent link.

So let’s try to eat whole foods and limit processed ones as much as possible for a healthier and longer life.

Foodie bites

Hawaii Community College’s Culinary Program’s I ola No Ke Kino and The Bamboo Hale Fine Dining is open.

Check the website: http://hawaii.hawaii.edu.cafeteria or call (808) 934-2559. For reservations to The Bamboo Hale, call (808) 934-2591. Leave your name, phone number, the day and time you would like to dine: 11 a.m., 11:40 a.m., or 12:15 p.m.

Email Audrey Wilson at audreywilson808@gmail.com.