Riding the Tides of Music: The Kamuela Philharmonic showcases talent from around Hawaii

Swipe left for more photos

CSIGE
CHO
CHOI
YEH
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

“A journey of orchestral beauty” will take place with the Kamuela Philharmonic at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Kahilu Theatre in Waimea when the orchestra presents its winter concert, “Riding the Tides of Music.”

This concert showcases the winners of the philharmonic’s 2023/24 Madeline Schatz-Harris Youth Concerto Competition, a perennial season standout.

Additionally, the philharmonic will unveil the world premiere of Hawaii Island composer Paul Csige’s Symphony No. 1, titled “Surfing Symphony,” a composition that paints a narrative of a day in the life of a surfer across five distinct movements.

The program also includes a performance of Richard Wagner’s epic, “Siegfried’s Rhine Journey,” from the opera, “Götterdämmerung.”

Accompanied by the orchestra, violinist Yunju Cho, 12, will perform the first movement of Édouard Lalo’s “Symphonie Espagnole,” violinist Jeremy Choi, 15, will play Pablo de Sarasate’s “Zigeunerweisen,” and violist Elishia Yeh, 17, will perform the movements from Niccolò Paganini’s “Grand Sonata for Viola and Orchestra.”

“Each year, I have the honor of working with the winners of our annual youth concerto competition. Seeing the breadth of talent in these young musicians is always an inspiration. I hold this role very close to my heart in that for the vast majority, if not all, of the winners each year, this performance is their first time playing with a full orchestra as their accompaniment,” said Brian Dollinger, artistic director and conductor.

“Performing as a soloist with a symphony is hard enough, but add a packed audience to the equation, and it has the makings of a lifetime memory. My job is to make these young musicians feel as comfortable and safe as possible while encouraging them to have fun and enjoy the moment. I’ve been where they are, and I know how important this event is for them.”

Tickets for “Riding the Tides of Music” are range from $76 to $22 and may be purchased online at kamuelaphil.org or by calling the Kahilu Theatre box office at (808) 885-6868. Tickets also may be available at the door on the day of the event.