Over cups of Joe, police talk story with residents

Swipe left for more photos

Kelsey Walling/Tribune-Herald Jason Mantis talks with Officer Duane Rapoza Jr. on Friday during a "Coffee with a Cop" event at the Starbucks in Prince Kuhio Plaza. Mantis happened upon the event while getting his coffee in the morning.
Kelsey Walling/Tribune-Herald Officer Tyler Jelsma talks story with a group of customers Friday at the Starbucks in Prince Kuhio Plaza during a "Coffee with a Cop" event in Hilo.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The Starbucks at Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo was busier than usual last Friday during a “Coffee with a Cop” event.

Hawaii Police Department officers spent time in the coffee shop talking story with community members and answering questions about policing in Hawaii County.

Jason Mantis happened upon the event while getting his regular morning coffee. He decided to take the time to talk with Officer Duane Rapoza Jr. about various issues in Hilo and how police have been responding.

“I think it’s great that the community can talk to the officers one-on-one, so they can understand them better and recognize that we’re all on the same side,” Mantis said. “I’m glad I came upon this so randomly, and I hope they do it more often.”

Officer Tyler Jelsma talked story with multiple people, whether it was a casual conversation or discussing more serious concerns expressed by residents.

“This gives people a chance to meet their officers and get long, good interactions with us,” Jelsma said. “These conversations make me think about how we police can do things differently. It’s nice to hear feedback on how we respond to situations, whether it’s good or not so good. Then we can take that information back and try to incorporate it next time.”

HPD is working to improve relationships in the community and hosting more public events to talk to people.

In a public forum last month, new police Chief Ben Moszkowicz said that trust leads to better relations between the public and police, and police can improve community trust by sharing more information.

“I think it’s important to have more of these types of community events, so everyone can share ideas and perspectives,” Mantis said. “We all love this community, and we’re better when we come together.”

Those interested in learning more about community outreach programs like “Coffee with a Cop” can contact the South Hilo Community Policing section at (808) 961-8849.

Email Kelsey Walling at kwalling@hawaiitribune-herald.com.