Dance-oriented all-star band Hot Potaytahs to perform on Thursday

Courtesy of Nick Souza From left, Jeff Silberman, Randy Skaggs, Bill Heideman, Yisa Varr, Trever Veilleux, Charles Haines and Gonzo make up the Hot Potaytahs, Hilo’s new Funk-n-Roll band. The band is playing on the Palace Theater stage this Thursday with an open dance floor and concessions available.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Those who loving dancing and live music can look forward to a night of “funk-n-roll” when the Hot Potaytahs take the stage Thursday night at Hilo’s Palace Theater.

The Hot Potaytahs is a relatively new group made entirely of an all-star line up of local musicians that include Randy Skaggs, Yisa Var, Charles Haines, Bill Heideman, “Gonzo,” Trever Veilleux and Jeff Silberman.

The group will perform on the Palace Theater stage with room for audience members to come up on stage and dance alongside the band. Visuals are streamed on the big screen and attendees also can opt to sit back and watch the fun from their seats.

“Every time we’ve put this on, it’s been a lively crowd with a full stage,” said Palace Theater Executive Director Phillips Payson. “We have concessions and drinks available for purchase, and it’s become a great time.”

Saxophonist Randy Skaggs put the band together to find a way to play live dance music, which he’s always wanted to do.

“When I put this band together, I did so with the thought that we would play songs that I’ve always wanted to play, are seldom heard live, and that have a danceable groove,” Skaggs said. “Some of songs are arranged a little differently from the original versions, which adds to the uniqueness.”

Joining Skaggs on the saxophone are Haines and Var with vocals, Veilleux on guitar, “Gonzo” on bass, Silberman on keyboard and Heideman on drums.

“The band itself is versatile and adept at playing different styles. Having two vocalists also offers interesting interplay during the show,” Skaggs said. “I was fortunate to know some talented players that I’ve always wanted to be in band with and that were happy to play with each other.”

Skaggs has been associated with the Palace Theater for more than two decades, playing in the pit during musicals and other events.

“I came up with this idea of having a dance band sharing the stage with dancers maybe five years ago, making it a fun show that was inclusive to everyone,” Skaggs said. “Phillips took this idea and ran with it. He has put together a multimedia experience utilizing the movie screen, several cameras and stage lighting. He has created some great images that enhance the experience.”

Audiences can catch the Hot Potaytahs at the Palace Theater from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursday night. Tickets are available online and at the door for $15.

More information can be found at the hilopalace.com.

Email Kelsey Walling at kwalling@hawaiitribune-herald.com.