Ho‘ike returns to Kamehameha with a modern take on a classic tale

Swipe left for more photos

Kelsey Walling/Tribune-Herald Hulali Weissman performs hula 'olapa with other dancers during rehearsal for "Pai'ea, A Rock Opera" for Kamehameha Schools Hawaii's Ho'ike on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023.
Kelsey Walling/Tribune-Herald Kamau Beaudet as Kamehameha performs a song while rehearsing "Pai'ea, A Rock Opera" for Kamehameha Schools Hawaii's Ho'ike on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023.
Kelsey Walling/Tribune-Herald Kilinoe Helm performs hula 'olapa with other dancers during rehearsal for "Pai'ea, A Rock Opera" for Kamehameha Schools Hawaii's Ho'ike on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023.
Kelsey Walling/Tribune-Herald Gabrielle Faagata as Kaʻahumanu performs a song with hula dancers behind her during rehearsal for "Pai'ea, A Rock Opera" for Kamehameha Schools Hawaii's Ho'ike on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Students from Kamehameha Schools Hawaii have come together for the 18th school-wide Ho‘ike production.

Actors, singers and dancers will be performing “Pai‘ea, A Rock Opera,” which is the first in a trilogy of rock opera performances being developed on the Kamehameha Hawaii campus.

Written almost entirely in the Hawaiian language, “Pai‘ea” is a glam rock opera that covers the early life, tests, and battles of Kamehameha I including his birth, the lifting of pohaku Naha, and the Battle of Moku‘ohai.

Each portion of the opera trilogy, which was composed by Herb Mahelona, will be performed at every other Ho‘ike. Students will perform the first part of the trilogy this year, which begins with Kamehameha’s birth.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ho‘ike has been presented virtually and in workshop form since 2020. In 2022, Act I of “Pai‘ea” was presented as a workshop performance and this year has evolved into a fully staged production.

Kamehameha’s Ho‘ike will be returning the tradition of having the entire high school involved in the production either on-stage, in the band, behind-the-scenes crew or in the choir.

This will be choir director ‘Alohi De Lima’s first time directing a Ho‘ike production.

“I was a student here, so I performed in the first Ho‘ike and it’s exciting to have it come back as a school production,” De Lima said. “We have Ho‘ike because it’s a way to unify the whole school in one production without competition.”

De Lima has watched as the student performers have learned the music and lines, which include singing and chanting, since starting rehearsals in January. Along with choral practice, students spend hours during and after school rehearsing hula, blocking and transitions for the production.

“It’s going really well. We’ve been rehearsing this week and the kids are working so hard,” De Lima said. “To have an opera that’s almost entirely in Hawaiian and presenting the story about Kamehameha as a full school production coming back from COVID-19 is a powerful experience. These kids give me chicken skin when they perform.”

The production mixes the historical story of Kamehameha I with a traditional rock opera. Costumes and makeup will mirror that of a rock opera theme while not diminishing the cultural significance of the story.

“This production is so unique and it’s wonderful that our students have an opportunity to show their talents,” De Lima said. “There is a place for everyone. There are students acting, singing and dancing the hula, as well as student techs, hair stylists and makeup artists.”

Senior Kamau Beaudet will be playing the titular role of Kamehameha and is preparing to be in every scene of the production.

“It’s a lot of pressure, I need to remember my lines more, but it’s a lot of fun and I know I can do it,” Beaudet said. “I was not expecting this at all. I came into the audition ready to do anything, then I saw my name at the top of the list and was shocked.”

Although it’s challenging to tackle a production during the school year, Beaudet has taken everything in stride and is using this time as a learning experience.

“This has been a great way to spend my last year at school. Memorization can be tricky and there have been other challenges along the way, but we’re working really hard,” Beaudet said. “It’s amazing to be part of a whole-school production and I’m so excited to go to Scotland with the show.”

This summer, students that are part of “Pai‘ea” will have the chance to go to Scotland for the American High School Theatre Festival at the 2023 Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Funds raised from ticket sales will help defray the cost of travel for those participating in the trip.

This will be Kamehameha Hawaii’s third time participating in the international festival.

“Pai‘ea” will be shown at 6 p.m. on Thursday, March 9 and Friday, March 10 in the Koai‘a Gymnasium on the Kamehameha Hawaii campus.

Tickets are $5 for general admission, or $10 for VIP early entry seating. Those interested can purchase tickets online now through Sunday, March 5 using the school’s FACTS purchase portal.

More information on the production can be found at ksbe.edu/article/ksh_article/hoike-2023-paiea/.

Email Kelsey Walling at kwalling@hawaiitribune-herald.com