38th Annual Founders Show winners announced

Swipe left for more photos

Dawn Sagar's “Five Miles Per Hour.”
“She Sells Seashells” by Irina V. Place.
Lorie Taylor’s “Kanani.”
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The Waimea Arts Council has announced the winners of the 38th Annual Founders Show.

Lorie Taylor’s “Kanani” was awarded First Place ($300). Second Place ($200) went to “She Sells Seashells” by Irina V. Place. Dawn Sagar received Third Place ($100) for “Five Miles Per Hour.”

The Juror’s Choice awards ($50) were bestowed on Joalene Young for “Abundance,” Elissa Keiko Yamamoto for “Being” and Karen Thrasher for “Lava Bowl.” “Dragonfly Dawn,” by Kathy Sprinkle, “Hukilau I,” by Irina V. Place and “Blue Wave” by Terry Bensch received Honorable Mention awards ($25).

“With my love for our island, our flowers, the vibrant colors you see everywhere you look, I incorporated different Hawaiian ephemera: pages from Hawaiian books, ukulele songs, maps of the islands and my recreation of a Hawaiian face from the past,” First Place winner Lorie Taylor said in a press release. “I played with colors and ideas, even got inspiration from Kentucky Derby hats!

The 38th Annual Founders Show at the Firehouse Gallery runs through Nov. 27. Gallery hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, or whenever the flags out front are flying.

The Firehouse Gallery is its most successful program. It is located at 67-1201 Mamalahoa Hwy, Waimea.

For questions, email waimeaartscouncil@gmail.com or visit www.WaimeaArtsCouncil.org.