EHCC exhibition explores tension between modern and traditional

Photo courtesy of Andrzej Kramarz Work by Ian Kuali’i: hand cut paper with painted verso portraits (Haunani-Kay and Mililani Trask); and installation Kukulu Kumuhana, and monotype prints by Kala’i Blakemore, Sending and Taking Series.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Difficult questions are at the core of the Kilo I Ka Mo‘o exhibition on view in April and May at the East Hawaii Cultural Center. How can Native Hawaiians reconcile the contradictions between the traditions of their subjugated culture and the contemporary ideals of a monetized society? Is it possible to express one’s native heritage, reclaim lost identity, and at the same time accept new ways?

Four artists – Ian Kuali‘i, Kala‘i Blakemore, Laura Dunn, and Nainoa Rosehill – examine these questions through mixed media, photography, printmaking, and hand-cut paper. Their work is accompanied by audio of oli performed by Kumu Ulupuamahinamaikalani Peleiholani Blankenfeld-Kaheiki, with sound design by Ezri Weiss. The exhibition is curated by Kanani Daley.

The title of the exhibition is explained by Kumu Mahina, who says, “Kilo is a term used to describe observations … It mainly references stargazers or navigators as they looked to the heavens to chart their course. [It also means asking] the observer to look at something with keen and earnest eyes … It is only then that we can get the true ‘mo‘o‘ (mo‘olelo): the story or history of something. ‘Kilo I Ka Mo‘o‘ is a calling to open yourself to the history and stories of a place … It’s the ability to coexist with a place and continue to perpetuate its mana through tales and observations of change throughout time and space.”

Kilo I Ka Mo’o will be on view from April 2 to May 27. Admission to the gallery is free. For more information, visit EHCC online at ehcc.org, call 961-5711, or visit EHCC at 141 Kalakaua Street. Current gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.