“Tropical Palette” exhibit on display in Waimea

Courtesy photo Oil painting of Parker Ranch in Kamuela/Waimea by Ilmar Reinveld.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The Firehouse Gallery presents “Tropical Palette,” a group exhibition by the Kohala Plein Air Artists, throughout December and January.

The group paints on the north leeward side of the island from the spectacular coast to the forests of Hawi to the rolling hills of Waimea ranches.

“The three biggest challenges are wind, wind and wind,” said oil painter Peter Jefferson who leads the group. “You never know what you are going to get, how the clouds will move across the horizon, where the cows are going to be grazing, when there will be a sudden downpour. To me, it’s thrilling. The big views are magnificent.”

“My plein air paintings often have small insects or other wind-blown detritus embedded in the paint, but I love it because of the sounds of the waves, the stillness of a country park, the laughter of beachgoers. The rush of wind brings an energy that just doesn’t happen in the studio,” said artist Chris Kutler.

Featured Kohala Plein Air artists include Julie Barreto, Lynn Chapman, Virginia Fortner, Janice Gail, Peter Jefferson, Chris Kutler, Jan Marrack, Carol McMillan, Liz Pullen, Ilmar Reinvald, Victoria Serrao, Jane Word Taylor and Helen White.

Join the artists from 9 a.m.-noon on Friday, as they paint “En Plein Air” on Historic Corner where the gallery is located. Talk with the artists and learn about how open air painting began in France in the 1800s when tube paints became available. Artists could escape the confines of the studio, where they had to grind and mix paints, to paint in the beauty of the outdoors.

The Firehouse Gallery is open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and whenever the doors are open and the flags are flying. It is located at 67-1201 Mamalahoa Highway, Waimea. Masks are required.

The Waimea Arts Council is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the arts, the encouragement of artists, and providing a forum for art-related community events.