Food & Diaper Drive this Saturday

Tribune-Herald file photo Each purchase of Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water – pictured at a Hilo store in this 2015 file photo – helps fund give-back programs such as the Kokua Initiative.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Naturally alkaline, Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water is dedicated to sustainability in all of our practices and serving those in need has been a focus of the company since the start. Waiakea leads the way when it comes to creating positive change throughout the world, and that begins right here at home in the islands.

“Community service is my passion. To be able to move home to my hometown, filled with many individuals who had their hand in raising me, is a dream come true” said Geoli Nawahiekaluaopele Ng, director of the Kokua Initiative at Waiakea.

It’s more than a dream for Geoli, it’s purpose-driven, and she has been the catalyst behind the growth of our Kokua Initiative.

“When we work together to serve another in need, an unspoken bond is built, friendships are strengthened, all while having fun. I believe that we have found the secret to life-long friendships through our commitment to our community and one another, as we strive to make our community just a little better each and every day.”

As the company grows, so will this work as the Kokua Initiative is committed to empowering the people of Hawaii through a three piko approach that encourages educational opportunities, ‘aina-based conservation and sustainability, and support for the most vulnerable in our community. The ongoing pandemic has been a perfect example for the need of such services.

Over the past 12 months, the Kokua Initiative has made an impact throughout the islands in service to over 50,000 local people in need.

To date, the Waiakea Kokua Initiative has helped to support more than 30 organizations including but not limited to OK Farms’ Hawaii Eco CSA Food Boxes, Hilo Gardening Initiative Food Distribution, Yukio Okutsu State Veterans Home, Hale Anuenue Restorative Care, Life Care Center of Hilo, Hawaii Island Adult Care, Hui Malama Ola Na ‘Oiwi, Waiakea High School, Waiakea Intermediate School, Waiakea Elementary School, Waiakeawaena Elementary School, Pahoa High and Intermediate School, Kalanianaole Elementary and Intermediate School, The Food Basket, Hawaii Diaper Bank, Hope Services Hawaii, Hawaii Literacy, YWCA and YMCA, among others.

Each purchase of Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water helps to keep our give-back programs moving ahead. This includes our partnership with Pump Aid to provide clean water access to the people of Malawi, Africa, and the Kokua Initiative, which will be holding a Food &Diaper Drive this Saturday.

This event will run from 8 a.m. to 11a.m. at KTA Puainako and is held in collaboration with our partners, the Hilo Crescent City Lions Club.