Join the search for alien life and a home on Mars; Free NASA@My Library virtual event features Jesse Tarnas

TARNAS
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

As part of National Library Week from April 4-10, Jesse Tarnas will present “The Search for Alien Life and a Home on Mars” at 10 a.m. Wednesday, April 7.

This free virtual NASA@My Library program, appropriate for ages 9 and older, is being hosted by Thelma Parker Memorial Public and School Library in Waimea. Registration is required; register online at librarieshawaii.org.

Tarnas, a Parker School alumnus, was born and raised on Hawaii Island and is a member of the science team for the Mars rover. He will talk about the recently landed Perseverance Mars rover mission and what it means for science and the future of humans in space. He’ll also describe his journey from Waimea to NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, including some adventures along the way, such as studying ancient water 1.5 miles underground.

Tarnas recently earned his doctorate in planetary science from Brown University and spends his workdays researching planets. His team’s goal is to find alien life and to help humans live on other planets and moons.

Thelma Parker Memorial Public and School Library is the only library in the state chosen to be part of the NASA@My Library program to engage public audiences nationwide in informal and lifelong learning with the excitement of NASA exploration and discovery.

For more information, call 887-6067.