Family Support Hawaii celebrates 40 years of assisting families

Courtesy of WALTER BACXA Family Support Hawaii celebrated 40 years of serving families on the Big Island last week at Papa Kona Coffee.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

KAILUA-KONA — When former director JoAnn Freed addressed the organization’s supporters and founders during the organization’s recent anniversary party, she had one thing to declare: “We persist.”

And she did it repeatedly.

With those words, Family Support Hawaii, which is celebrating 40 years of service, is headed into its next decade because of the persistence of more than a few hardworking individuals.

“We’ve lasted because of a lot of commitment by the people,” said executive director Ray Wofford. “It’s been a commitment of individuals, a commitment of people in the community, and the effort behind it. Family Support Hawaii is here because of these people that started it and worked so hard.”

At the beginning of this month, Family Support Hawaii marked its 40-year milestone with its founders, employees and a few of the families it is committed to helping during an event at Papa Kona Coffee in Holualoa.

Founded by community members who wanted to reach out and help children in need and their families, Family Support Hawaii began as West Hawaii Family Support Council in 1979.

Through the years, the organization expanded to include multiple family-oriented programs. It has offices in Kailua-Kona and Waimea, as well as a child care center in Kealakekua.

The nonprofit now provides services to more than 3,500 individuals a year.

“Our mission is to provide love and support for our children and help the community and families,” Wofford said.

Annual community events such as the Serve It Forward tennis tournament, help the nonprofit spread its message and raise money to expand services. The sixth annual tournament is slated for Feb. 8-9, 2020, at the Holua Tennis Center in Keauhou.

Early Head Start director Stacy Brown began her career helping children as a kindergarten teacher in Los Angeles County in California. She found her way to helping families when she moved to the Big Island by joining Family Support Hawaii.

“You just look at the name of our agency and that tells the story right there — family support,” Brown said.

Single father Jordan Tobias is just one person Family Support Hawaii and Early Head Start has supported through the years.

Tobias has been a part of Early Head Start for four years and is now the program’s policy council vice chairman. The policy council helps make decisions for the program, a challenge Tobias embraces, giving back to the organization that helped him.

“I’m a success story, but I don’t think I would have been able to succeed without the agency,” he said. “I wouldn’t have been able to succeed without the help I’ve received.”

Email Elizabeth Pitts at epitts@westhawaiitoday.com.