June’s artist in residence to share eruption stories via comics journalism

Swipe left for more photos

Courtesy of ANDY WARNER Andy Warner, wife Kathy and 2-year-old twins this month at Akaka Falls.
Courtesy of ANDY WARNER Kilauea summit 2018 ash cloud comic.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park’s June artist in residence Andy Warner, a comics journalist, author and artist, has been busy talking to people impacted by the 2018 Kilauea eruption.

At 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 25, in the Kilauea Visitor Center Auditorium, Warner will present a long-form nonfiction comic during a presentation that is part of the park’s “After Dark in the Park” series. The program is free, but park entrance fees apply.

During his residency, Warner is exploring the human accommodation to life around volcanoes. He parlayed personal stories of culture, science and tradition into a long-form nonfiction comic that explores the aftermath and recovery from the eruption.

“I want to tell the stories of real people and the real impact of the events last summer,” Warner said. “I’ve interviewed residents, talked with Hawaiians, park rangers and scientists, and their stories form the backbone of this project.”

Warner is a New York Times best-selling comics journalist and artist. His comics range between journalism, documentary and memoir. He published two books of nonfiction history in comic form, and is a contributing editor of The Nib, an online publication for nonfiction comics.

Warner’s newest book, “This Land is My Land,” is a collection of true stories about flawed utopias and artistic environments.

For more information, call Park Information at 985-6101 or visit https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm.