Experience ‘Signatures, an Installation’ in the Fountain Gallery at Wailoa Center

Courtesy image
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Wailoa Center’s Fountain Gallery is featuring through June 26 an installation exhibit by local artist Trudee Siemann.

This is Siemann’s second installation addressing her concept of “Elusive Memories.”

“The first signatures I requested (were) in 1965 from my family,” Siemann said. “I still have those signatures. In June 2014, I exhibited, ‘Elusive Memories,’ my photographic interpretation of dementia. Shortly after that I remember thinking, ‘How would their, or anyone’s signature, change with the passing of time?”

Siemann started this project in August 2015, ending December 2018. Sixteen people participated.

The instructions were simple: First, on one card stock write their birth year, then on another sign their first name, date and time. All wrote with the same writing utensil and inscribed on the same card stock.

These images are a continuation of the ongoing “Elusive Memories” project.

Wailoa Center, located at 200 Piopio St. in Hilo, is free and opened to the public from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

For more information, call 933-0416, email wailoa@yahoo.com or visit wailoacenter.com.