Hawaii Care Choices seeks volunteers

Courtesy photo Volunteer David Kohara outside the administrative offices of Hawaii Care Choices.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Hawaii Care Choices, provider of palliative, hospice and bereavement care to East Hawaii, is looking to add to its volunteer team and will conduct a training session in June for members of the community interested in giving a few hours a week to uplift others.

For David Kohara, being a volunteer with an organization that serves the community was on his “bucket list” once he retired.

“I knew I made the right decision,” said Kohara after completing volunteer orientation and training.

New volunteers can choose to provide services such as companionship, giving caregivers a break, transportation, errands, cooking, music, light household chores, bereavement support, administrative support, landscaping and assisting with community events.

Licensed massage therapists and hairdressers are welcome. Veterans are encouraged to apply.

For Kohara, “making a difference in someone’s life matters so much.” He volunteers regularly and enjoys providing companionship, helping with patient care such as assisting with meals and being a “vigil team member” — sitting with patients during the final hours of their journey. The patients “are all heroes, and I am honored and privileged to have been with them,” Kohara said.

Interested trainees should complete an online application at www.hawaiicarechoices.org/ and then call volunteer manager Jeanette Mochida at 969-1733 to arrange a quick mandatory pre-training interview no later than June 7.

Training will include: a 10-hour online course to be completed prior to meeting from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. June 14 for the final day of instruction.