Thelma Parker library hosts NASA@My Library presentations in November and December

Swipe left for more photos

Courtesy photo Bryce Pena
Courtesy photo Ignacio “Nacho” de la Higuera
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Thelma Parker Memorial Public and School Library in Waimea will host two NASA@My Library virtual presentations in November and December. The events are free and open to the public.

Ignacio “Nacho” de la Higuera, a researcher at the Center for Life in Extreme Environments in Portland, Ore., will present Viruses in Extreme Environments from 5-6 p.m. Nov. 28. Nacho is interested in understanding how viruses are constantly changing and what impact they have on the evolution of life on Earth.

Bryce Pena, a microbiology doctoral student at Oregon State University, will present Phytoplankton Populations from Satellite Data from 2-3 p.m. on Dec. 8. Learn how NASA is helping scientists uncover important information about the health of our oceans using satellites in space. Pena studies the microscopic plants of the ocean, photoplankton, which form the base of the marine food web. He pairs lab studies and research cruises with satellite-collected data to understand the growth of phytoplankton on global scales.

The Thelma Parker library is proud to be one of 75 public libraries and the only library in Hawaii chosen to be part of the NASA@My Library program to engage public audiences nationwide in informal and lifelong learning with the excitement of NASA exploration and discovery. Since 2017, the library has offered a series of NASA@My Library programs, which will continue through 2020.

For more information, call 887-6067.