Halau E Hulali Mai I Ka La to perform this weekend

Courtesy of Halau E Hulali Mai I Ka La Kumu Hula Chrissy Kama Henriques and Halau E Hulali Mai I Ka La will perform Saturday as part of Volcano Art Center’s Hula Arts at Kilauea series.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The Volcano Art Center’s Hula Arts at Kilauea performance series features a second event this month with a performance at 10:30 a.m. Saturday (Oct. 20) by Kumu Hula Chrissy Kama Henriques with Halau E Hulali Mai I Ka La.

Halau E Hulali Mai I Ka La is a young halau from Captain Cook. This year, they placed first in the seventh annual Heiva I Hawaiʻi Otea and Aparima division. In the most recent event, they competed in the 2018 Kupuna Hula Competition and took 1st place in the Tutu Kane division. The halau also participated in the E Malama Mau I Ka Hula Festival on Oct. 13.

This performance is part of a year-round series sponsored by Volcano Art Center. The series features hula halau from throughout Hawaii, performing each month in a one-of-a-kind outdoor setting at the kahua hula (platform) in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. These performances are presented authentically in an outdoor setting, rain or shine, without electronic amplification. Audience members are encouraged to bring sun/rain gear and sitting mats.

Hosted in conjunction with the Hula Kahiko performance, join cultural practitioner Loke Kamahu and ohana as they share with you “Na Mea Hula” (all things hula). Come and learn a hula, use various hula implements and try your hand at lei making. Experience the different aspects that play an integral role in the life of the hula dancer.

These cultural demonstrations are hands-on and family friendly and are slated for 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on Hula Kahiko performance days.

These events are free, but park fees might apply.

For more information, visit www.volcanoartcenter.org or call 967-8222.