Baha’is attend state, international conventions

Courtesy photo Baha’i from Hawaii in Akka, Israel, while attending the international convention in May.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

From 28 April-May 1, members of the Hawaiian Baha’i community attended the 12th International Baha’i Convention on Mt. Carmel in Haifa, Israel.

More than 1,300 representatives from 160-plus nations cast their ballots to elect the Universal House of Justice, the international governing council for the Baha’i Faith. The election happens once every five years by secret ballot, without any form of electioneering or nomination.

This sacred institution guides the worldwide Baha’i community as it works to establish global peace and well-being and promote the prosperity of humankind.

Closer to home, delegates from all of the Hawaiian Islands gathered May 25-28 on Oahu for Hawaii’s annual convention. Six delegates from Hawaii Island, hailing from the South Hilo, Puna, South Kohala and North Kona districts, attended.

A new National Spiritual Assembly was elected during the convention. (For administrative purposes, Hawaii is considered by Baha’is to be its own national community.) This nine-member council is responsible for guiding, coordinating and stimulating the activities of the communities within its jurisdiction.

Delegates also consulted together on plans for promoting spiritual and educational programs for all ages and heard news of the worldwide advancement of the Baha’i Faith from the representatives who returned from Israel.

Following closely on the heels of these momentous gatherings, Baha’is worldwide on July 10 commemorated the Martyrdom of the Bab, who was the prophet-herald of the Baha’i Faith.