Tamure! (dance together): Tahitian group from Hilo hosting annual Heiva I Keaukaha

Courtesy photo Merahi Productions vahine perform during the Merrie Monarch Festival in April.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Merahi Productions, a Tahitian halau from Hilo, presents its sixth annual Heiva I Keaukaha from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at Kawananakoa Gym.

Heiva I Keaukaha features a full day of solo and group dance competitions as well as craft and food vendors. Groups from Hilo, Kona and Oahu are scheduled to compete.

Group competition categories are Group Ote‘a, Group Aparima, Group Ahupurotu, Tamari‘i Ote‘a, Tamari‘i Aparima and Tahitian Drumming.

Solo categories include Exhibition 4 and younger, Tamahine/Tamaroa (ages 5-7, 8-10 and 11-13), and Vahine/Tane (ages 14-17, 18-23, 24-29, 30-35, 36-44 and 45 and older).

In addition, Merahi Productions will perpetuate Polynesian culture by performing an exhibition of their group dances “Tatau Tupuna” and “Te Tama o Te Mahana.”

The vahine, or women, of Merahi will tell of how through the art of tatau, or tattoo, “our ancestors, our history and our culture are ingrained in each of us,” Merahi said in a news release.

The tamari‘i (children) of Merahi will tell of how they are children of the sun, the land, the ocean and the island.

Tamari‘i also will share how they make Tahiti’s favorite dish, poisson cru or ota i‘a (marinated raw fish), which as Polynesian islanders they’ve gathered in the sun with ingredients from the ocean and land.

Tickets are $5 in advance, $8 at the door; free for children 4 and younger.

For more information about the event, call Tiffany at 769-3860, email merahiproductions@yahoo.com or visit www.merahiproductions.wix.com/merahi.