Hospice, palliative care volunteers honored

Courtesy photo Hawaii Care Choices CEO Brenda S. Ho, left, with volunteer Arlene Buklarewicz and volunteer manager Jeanette Mochida.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Hawaii Care Choices, formerly Hospice of Hilo, celebrated the work done by its dedicated volunteers during a recent appreciation luncheon at the Hilo Yacht Club.

Special recognition was given to Arlene Buklarewicz for her 10 years of service to the community. Wanting to contribute in a meaningful way, Buklarewicz decided to use her background in nursing to benefit hospice and palliative care patients in need. On any given month, Buklarewicz donates eight to 12 hours of her time assisting with direct patient care.

What help is needed or desired by patients varies. Buklarewicz frequently reads to patients, listens to their stories, holds their hand or sits in silence as a reassuring presence.

“I try to be whatever is most comfortable for the family and patient,” Buklarewicz said. “My favorite part of volunteering is my interaction with patients and their families and especially being part of such an extraordinary team that puts comfort and peace of mind as a primary goal. It provides me with wonderful opportunities to be of assistance and to practice compassion.”

“Arlene is such a caring person, always willing to take on any assignment and never passing judgment on anyone,” said volunteer manager Jeanette Mochida. “I know whenever I place Arlene in someone’s home; they are in good hands.”

Buklarewicz has collected many memorable experiences through the years. Among her favorites was helping a patient make a valentine card for his wife.

This year’s volunteer luncheon honored the efforts of 64 big-hearted community members.

“I am so grateful for volunteers like Arlene Buklarewicz, who make time in their busy lives to connect with others in service,” said Hawaii Care Choices CEO Brenda S. Ho.

Those wanting to give their time in support of hospice and palliative care patients can get started by joining Hawaii Care Choices’ summer training session. New volunteers can choose to provide services such as companionship, respite, transportation, light housework, yard work or administrative support.

Interested trainees should visit www.hawaiicarechoices/volunteer to complete an online application and then call Mochida at 969-1733 to arrange a quick mandatory pre-training interview.