Stained glass workshops return to Volcano Art Center

Stained Glass Basics I graduates show their finished projects on the final day of class in January at the Volcano Art Center. Courtesy photo
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Whimsical shapes, illustrative scenes or divine stories, stained glass has re-created the light in our lives for centuries. Stained glass artisans use glass color and texture to produce light forms and patterns creating mood and character in small and large spaces.

Now you can try your hand at making stained glass art during workshops for beginners in May and June at the Volcano Art Center.

All of the basic techniques will be covered, from glass cutting, foiling, soldering and completing with patina and polishing compound. Glass artist Lois Pollock will share her expertise and knowledge, teaching students the skills involved in working safely with stained glass and creating a beautiful, sturdy piece of art.

Stained Glass Basics I is from 9 a.m.-noon Saturday and Sunday and May 26-27. Class fee is $100 or $90 for VAC members plus a $15 supply fee. Attendees are asked to wear long pants, snug-fitting gloves, covered shoes and safety glasses. Advance registration is required; the workshop will be limited to six adults. You will complete the four-session workshop with a finished light-catcher and the knowledge and experience of the basic skills involved to continue working with stained glass.

Stained Glass Basics II, taught by Claudia McCall, will be offered from 9 a.m.-noon June 2-3 and 9-10. This class will cover pattern design, allowing students to work on their own design as a second project upon successful completion of Stained Glass Basics I. Class fee is $100 or $90 for VAC members plus a $30 supply fee. Students should bring a stained glass design for review to the first class, no larger than 12 by 12 inches. Anyone with prior copper foil stained glass experience is welcome to enroll.

Students can enroll in both Stained Glass Basics I & II at the same time. To register, call 967-8222 or visit www.volcanoartcenter.org.