Hawai‘i Nei: Call to artists for 2018 exhibition featuring Big Island’s flora, fauna

Courtesy photo “Pueo Visits Wiliwili in The Land of ‘Ilima” by Carol Tredway, Hawai‘i Nei 2017 featured category, professional division.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Three Mountain Alliance, Hawai‘i Island Art Alliance, the Department of Land and Natural Resources Natural Area Reserves System and Wailoa Center announce a call to artists for Hawai‘i Nei 2018, a juried art exhibition celebrating the native flora and fauna of Hawaii Island.

Amateur and professional artists of all ages are invited to submit works of art celebrating the native plants, animals and habitats of our beloved island, our Hawai‘i Nei. Artwork will be displayed at the Wailoa Center from Nov. 2 through Dec. 13. All residents of Hawaii Island are eligible to participate.

All submissions must be original, created in the past two years and have not been previously shown in any other exhibition, gallery or website.

Each year, Hawaiʻi Nei selects a featured category to highlight a special species, theme or event. While the featured category is meant to help inspire the artist, artwork is not limited strictly to the featured category. The 2018 featured category is Endangered Species of Hawaii Island.

This year, artists are invited to highlight species that have been designated as endangered, many of which are critically endangered with some populations having less than 20 individuals remaining in the wild.

Artwork in any medium or combination of media is welcome. Native species found only on other islands will not be accepted. All species found from ridge to reef on the island are acceptable. Subjects from beyond the reef, including the deep ocean, will not be accepted. Artwork made from native species is strongly discouraged.

All artwork must be registered online by Oct. 12th at www.hawaiineiartcontest.org. All adult entries will be processed through a new registration platform called CaFE (www.callforentry.org), allowing artists to have more time for a higher quality presentation. An online profile must be created to submit artwork. A photo of the artwork is required for registration (species screening and initial jury will be based on this photo).

A kokua day will be offered Sept. 26 to help with the registration process. Initial online screening and jurying will take place Oct. 13.

Accepted artwork drop-off times, dates and locations are:

• 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 20 at Donkey Mill Art Center in Holualoa.

• 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 27 at Wailoa Center in Hilo.

West Hawaii participants are required to have their items boxed and ready for transport to Hilo.

There are five age divisions for entry: adult, lower elementary school (grades PK-3), upper elementary school (grades 3-5), middle school (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12). Students do not need to be affiliated with a school to enter. Class or group entries also are available for adults and youth (i.e., school class).

For adult entries, there will be separate divisions for amateur and professional artists. Artists are asked to use their discretion to choose a division. For this exhibition, a professional artist is defined as an artist who exhibits and sells work on a regular basis.

Prizes will be awarded for all divisions including youth. For the adult divisions, first- and second-place awards will be given to professional and amateur artists. For all youth divisions, first place and honorable mentions will be awarded. A cash prize of $300 will be awarded for adult Jurors’ Choice.

Follow the Hawai‘i Nei Facebook page to stay updated for upcoming events.

For more information, email hawaii.nei.art@gmail.com or visit www.hawaiineiartcontest.org.