Library hosts Engineering Bash

Truman Wold, mechanical engineer at the W.M. Keck Observatory, leads a demonstration on hydrostatic bearings during the Engineering Bash at Thelma Parker Memorial Library. Courtesy photo
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Some of the island’s most talented engineers were on hand Feb. 24 for the first Engineering Bash at Thelma Parker Memorial Public Library in Waimea.

The free, family-friendly NASA@My Library event was part of the library’s Engineers Week celebration and presented in collaboration with Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, Pohakuloa Training Area and the W.M. Keck Observatory.

About 220 children and their families explored the amazing world of engineering through indoor and outdoor hands-on experiments, demonstrations and displays.

NASA@My Library is an initiative to engage public audiences nationwide in informal and lifelong learning with the excitement of NASA exploration and discovery.

Thelma Parker Memorial Public Library is one of 75 public libraries (and the only library in the state of Hawaii) chosen to be part of NASA@ My Library. The program was made possible through the support of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration Science Mission Directorate as part of its STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) Activation Program.