A solemn call for action: 49th Day Memorial Service features forum on school violence

Swipe left for more photos

KIRSTEN JOHNSON/Tribune-Herald Community members participate in a candlelight vigil Wednesday evening as part of the 49th Day Memorial Service hosted by Honokaa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple.
KIRSTEN JOHNSON/Tribune-Herald Taking part in the 49th Day Memorial Service panel discussion were, from left, Honokaa High and Intermediate Principal Rachelle Matsumura, state Rep. Mark Nakashima, police Capt. Andrew Burian, Gary Todd of the Salvation Army Honokaa and Mahelani Maikui, director of the Hamakua Youth Center.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

HONOKAA — More than 40 people gathered Wednesday evening for a memorial service and community forum aimed at combating school violence in the wake of the campus shooting in Parkland, Fla.

The 49th Day Memorial Service was hosted by the Honokaa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple. It included a candlelight vigil for the 17 victims at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, followed by the community “right action” panel discussion where school administrators, government officials and other leaders were tasked to share ways they are working to reduce violence.

The event took place 49 days after the Feb. 14 shooting in Parkland. In Buddhist custom, a person enters his or her next life on the 49th day after their death.

“There was at least one student (after the Parkland shooting) who said they don’t want thoughts and prayers, they want action,” temple president Miles Okumura said during the service. “I was very moved by what he said. … So we invited distinguished community leaders and public servants to share with us their experience, their plans and activities in making our schools and communities safer, with a secondary goal of finding out how we can help them in their work.”

Hawaii already has stringent gun laws, panelists Hawaii County Mayor Harry Kim and state Rep. Mark Nakashima each noted during the forum. Kim also said many schools on the island have school resource officers, who are responsible solely for safety on school campuses.

Honokaa High and Intermediate School features a program that pairs faculty with smaller groups of students to meet regularly, Principal Rachelle Matsumura said. The idea is focusing on “the social emotional piece” of learning and “getting to know every one of our kids,” she said.

“Because if kids know that you care, that an adult is out there for you, they will work for you,” Matsumura said. “So, yes, we focus on academics and safety, but really getting to the root of caring for that child plays an important role in schools today.”

“The best thing you can do is show up for your keiki,” added Mahelani Maikui, director of the Hamakua Youth Center. “I give my kids my number, and sometimes they take me up on it. I live in Waipio, and a few times kids have gotten stranded on the beach. But they know where to go because auntie got food and auntie got housing.

“Just show up for them, and just provide them opportunities they don’t necessarily have in their home.”

Several events calling for more gun control have taken place and been planned since the Parkland shooting. On March 24, “March for Our Lives” rallies took place in Hilo, Waimea and Kona. On March 14, thousands of students islandwide participated in the National Walkout Day gun violence protest. Students nationally are planning another walkout for April 20, the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting.

Capt. Andrew Burian of the Hawaii Police Department said during the forum that those who “see something (suspicious) should say something.”

“This is not something we can hide from and hope that it is not going to happen here, because things like this have already happened here,” Burian said. “Not as (severe), but we’ve had police shot and people shot, and unfortunately that’s a reality. … Prepare yourself and know what you can do (in the event of) an active shooter, and communicate with us if you see something that’s a concern.”

Email Kirsten Johnson at kjohnson@hawaiitribune-herald.com.