Palace Theater welcomes new executive director: Board member assumes role from retiring leader

HOLLYN JOHNSON/Tribune-Herald Morgen Bahurinsky, left, has passed the Palace Theater executive director torch to board member Robin Worley.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The Palace Theater announces a “changing of the guard” in leadership.

Robin Worley took the helm as executive director as of April 1, succeeding Morgen Bahurinsky, who begins to cut back as she plans her retirement from the position.

Bahurinsky has been with the Palace since 2010 in various positions and served as executive director since 2015. With her 70th birthday approaching, she decided it was a good time to retire from full time work and responsibility.

As a two-time Ironman triathlon finisher, Bahurinsky says she would like to try to compete one more time before she gets old, as training for the event is a full-time commitment.

“I have loved my years at the Palace Theater and I leave with mixed emotions,” Bahurinsky said. “Though I am excited to see what the decade ahead has in store for me, I will be sad not to be so intimately involved with the Palace.”

Bahurinsky assures the community that the Palace is in good hands.

“I have worked with Robin Worley as a board member and I know she will do an excellent job as executive director,” Bahurinsky said. “She loves the Palace and will work hard to help it continue to flourish.”

Worley has served on the board of directors for six years. Bahurinsky said she is an innovative thinker, a trained performer and organizer, and a hardworking individual.

“I am excited about this opportunity to serve the Palace in an even greater capacity as the new executive director,” Worley said. “Since Morgen and I have worked together through the board, we both think the transition will go very smoothly. I know we will all miss Morgen’s full-time presence here but I know she will still be around volunteering and attending our events.”

The Palace board of directors has a long list of improvements beyond air conditioning the theater, and it will be under the guidance of Worley and the board to make these come to fruition in time for the 100th anniversary celebration of the theater opening.

Board President Wendy Peskin said she is happy that Worley stepped up to apply for the executive director position.

“While I am going to miss working with Morgen, I know Robin and I will be able to continue working toward the goals our board has established,” Peskin said. “We want to reach out to more of our community, offer a wider range of programming options and keep the Palace Theater one of downtown Hilo’s most important centers of culture and the arts.

“The Palace bids a fond farewell to Morgen and thanks her for all she has done for the theater.”