In honor of Prince Kuhio: Community invited to free hula festival in Pana‘ewa

Swipe left for more photos

Courtesy photo Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana‘ole, shown as a young adult, was known as “Ke Ali‘i Maka‘ainana” (the Citizen Prince).
Bernie Naope Konanui
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The beneficiaries and patrons of the Pana‘ewa Hawaiian Homestead community invite the public to the inaugural Prince Kuhio Hula Festival from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. March 26 at the Pana‘ewa Park Gym.

The free, noncompetitive hula festival is sponsored in partnership by the nonprofit Hui Nohona Hawaii and Halau Na Mamo O Ka Liko Maile O Kohala under the direction of kumu hula Kapua Francisco. The purpose of the event is to celebrate and honor the life and works of Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana‘ole through oli, hula and music.

The festival also celebrates 2018 Ke Ali‘i Maka‘ainana Award honoree Aunty Bernie Naope Konanui, kumu hula and sister of the late Merrie Monarch co-founder Uncle George Naope.

In addition to live entertainment, there will be door prizes and food, beverage and craft vendors.

Prince Kuhio, referred to as “Ke Ali‘i Maka‘ainana (the Citizen Prince),” was the first Native Hawaiian and only royal-born delegate to U.S. Congress. During his time, he introduced the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act of 1920, restored the Royal Order of Kamehameha I, established the first Hawaiian civic club and obtained funds to construct Pearl Harbor and create Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

“It is for these reasons that we honor and celebrate Ke Ali‘i Maka‘ainana,” said Francisco, lead festival organizer. “This event provides an opportunity for us to come together as a community and ‘ohana to build, strengthen and maintain positive relationships and community pride.”

Pana‘ewa Park is located at 100 Ohuohu St. For more information or to get involved, email kumuhula.kapua@gmail.com.