People’s Choice: Banyan Drive Art Stroll winners announced

Courtesy image “Queen’s Bridge IV” by Stephen Davies.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Two photographers have taken top honors in the People’s Choice category during the second annual Banyan Drive Art Stroll on Jan. 13.

In the “Beauty of Lili‘uokalani Gardens” art exhibit at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, People’s Choice winner Stephen Davies returned to photography after a 30-year absence. This is the first contest he has entered. Davies’ photo on canvas “Queen’s Bridge IV” now hangs at the Banyan Gallery.

“My first camera was a Nikon F,” Davies said. “I worked with Michael Janis in Honolulu doing commercial fashion photography in the 1970s.”

After a career in the mental health field, Davies moved to Hawaii Island in 1998.

“I shoot with micro four-thirds cameras made by Olympus and Panasonic,” he said. “Most of my work is colorful close-up abstract nature shots. I have a love for Lili‘uokalani Gardens and kept returning to this bridge.”

An addition this year was a separate ballot box in the photographers’ exhibit located at Hilo Bay Café. “Path of Reflections” by Jared Goodwin won People’s Choice in the photography category. “Path” graces the cover of the 2018 Friends of Lili‘uokalani Gardens calendar, a competition judged by professional photographer Charles Wood. The same image was recognized by art judge Darrell Orwig for first honorable mention in the art competition. Goodwin’s work also is on display at Banyan Gallery.

Davies was awarded a $300 gift certificate from Akamai Art Supply. Goodwin took home a $100 certificate from Cunningham Gallery and Picture Framing.