‘From mountaintops to coastal lava flows’: Wailoa Center to feature Big Island artist’s oil paintings

“Halema‘uma‘u” by Catherine Robbins. Courtesy image
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

“Rhythm of the Universe — A Volcanic Island Perspective,” a collection of oil paintings by Catherine Robbins, will be on display Feb. 2-22 at the Wailoa Center’s Fountain Gallery.

There will be a reception for the artist from 5-7 p.m. Feb. 2, which is free and open to the public.

The verdant windward side of Hawaii Island has been Robbins’ home for more than three decades. Born in San Francisco, she spent her early years exploring the fog-shrouded coast and high Sierra peaks of Northern California. A lifelong hiker and former national park ranger on Kilauea’s active lava flows, Robbins learned early in life to listen to the greater forces and her deepest inner voice.

“I’m a self-taught artist inspired by the wild wonders of nature,” Robbins said. “Exploring the natural world — from mountaintops to coastal lava flows — taught me to listen to the greater forces and my deepest inner voice.

“I paint subjects that I know well and love, including Hawaii Island’s majestic volcanoes and remarkable rain forest plants. My paintings are a soft blending of myriad colors that reveal our beautiful, multidimensional world.”

Robbins’ studio is nestled in the rain forest a few miles below Kilauea’s erupting summit crater. Her paintings are collected internationally and she is represented by several galleries on Hawaii Island.

Wailoa Center, located in the Wailoa River State Recreation Area, is a Division of State Parks, Department of Land and Natural Resources. The center is free an open to the public from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information, call 933-0416 or visit www.wailoacenter.com.