Paradise Studio Tour this weekend in HPP

“The Garden” (acrylic) by artist Abbie Rabinowitz.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Hawaii Island is rich in history, fine craftsmanship and art. The land is imbued with a power that gives birth to, inspires and lures artists from remote regions to these beautiful shores.

Hard work has made the Paradise Studio Tour a favorite art celebration. The free two-day, open studio art-collective commemorates its 17th year from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Showcasing the work of over 20 artisans, the PST takes place in Hawaiian Paradise Park in eight carefully selected studios. A number of locations are ADA accessible. Visit www.paradisestudiotour.com for a map and the addresses.

Numerous artists will be exhibiting at the HPP HUI located at 15-1570 Makuu Drive. This location features a food truck and public restrooms. It is a good location to begin the tour, acquire informational maps, enjoy lunch and find great gifts for the holidays.

Each location features a guest table with refreshments. To skip a space is to miss a vital fiber in this woven tapestry of art.

Four artists will share their creativity at Shari Steele’s studio, including Rodney Sean Rauch, Joachim Wiesel and Craig Allen Lawver. A member of the Rotary Club of Hilo, board president of the Hawaii Island Art Alliance, Lawver is passionate about his pointillism, PST, and exhibits at the Wailoa Arts Center in Hilo.

Renowned sculptor and painter Henry Bianchini will share his studio with Abbie Rabinowitz, award-winning painter, teacher and a recipient of the 2023 Vibrant Hawaii Artist’s Fellowship.

Rabinowitz says she “focuses on abstracting the landscape as a direct expression of the colors and movement I see and feel. Instead of relying on direct observation, my canvas transforms into a stage for my internal landscape.”

About Vibrant Hawaii, Abbie explains, “the Fellowship requests we create a project using art to help heal and increase the well-being of our communities. The theme of this year’s Fellowship is ‘There’s No Place Like Home.’ My abstract paintings reveal both the transient beauty and possible demise we are faced with on our planet.”

The PST Collective’s mission is to bring artist and patron together, and to support, encourage and inspire young artists. Participating artists pledge 10% of their sales to purchase art materials for area high schools.

Patti Pease Johnson, an alumni of the tour and teacher at the Donkey Mill and Volcano Art Center, said, “It is the community spirit from both the artists and viewers that keep me excited about the annual art tour.”

For more, visit www.paradisestudiotour.com on social media, facebook.com/paradisestudiotour and instagram.com/paradisestudiotour.