Kona Choral Society presents two concerts next month

Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

This December, the mutuality of the aloha and holiday spirit will be celebrated in the Kona Choral Society’s Annual Holiday Concert Series.

Artistic Director Susan McCreary Duprey and the 95-member ensemble will extend the opportunity to connect through song and celebrate Hawaii through two live choral performances, commencing with the annual free “Joy to the World” concert from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. Friday at Saint Michael the Archangel Catholic Church on Ali‘i Drive in Kailua-Kona.

This will be followed by the classical holiday favorite G.F. Handel’s Messiah and Bach’s Christmas Oratorio from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 17, at the Kaleiopapa Convention Center at the Outrigger Keauhou Bay Resort &Spa in Kailua-Kona.

The Hawaiian spirit, culture and language will be the centerpiece of this year’s “Joy to the World” concert.

Following the wildfire event in Lahaina in August, Duprey “wanted to reinforce the message of healing and to celebrate our home of Hawaii.” Duprey selected six Hawaiian choral works to showcase at the community concert that will feature each island while spotlighting local composer and KCS orchestra member Herb Mahelona, Hawaiian choral arrangers Justin Ka‘upu and Dorothy Gillett, and lyricist Mailelaui‘i Naki.

This dynamic partnership will be featured in the song, “No Ka Beauty o Honokohau,” with lyrics by Naki and composed by Mahelona.

The text of the song was inspired by a trip Naki took to Honokohau Valley, known as the piko, or source of Maui, with its lush land and flowing waters. Naki shared her lyrics with Mahelona, a Hilo-based composer, with whom she had collaborated with before, and he wrote the song in a Hawaiian folk style, marrying the words with his melody.

With nearly 100 voices enveloping the audience in song — and accompanied by percussionist Sharon Cannon, pianist Gloria Juan and string bassist Scott Jeffrey — the KCS will continue to carry listeners across the islands with songs, “Ua Mau” (Ni‘ihau/Kaua‘i), “Palehua” (Oʻahu), and “E Ola Mau Mo‘omomi” (Moloka‘i). Additionally, there will be two selections honoring Hawaii Island.

The remainder of the concert will highlight time-honored Christmas pieces, “The Christmas Song,” “Christmas Time is Here” and “Sleigh Ride” alongside the Kona Brass Quintet, and will then invite the audience to join together in a sing-a-long of familiar carols.

The second KCS seasonal showcase, G.F. Handel’s Messiah Part I, including the famed “Hallelujah Chorus,” and J.S. Bach’s well-known Christmas Oratorio (Movement 1), will offer another opportunity for the community to celebrate the holidays.

Complementing the chorus will be a 25-member orchestra, soloists Amy Mills, soprano, Wendy Buzby, alto, and guest soloists Brian Minnick, tenor, and Kyle Sandall, bass.

The “Joy to the World” Community Concert is free, but donations are greatly appreciated.

More information about the concert and about where to park is online at www.KonaChoralSociety.org.

Tickets for the Handel’s Messiah concert can also be purchased online at www.KonaChoralSociety.org or at the door for $35 general admission, $50 reserved, and free for 18 and under. For more information, go online or email KonaChoralSociety@gmail.com.