Black Hawk touch down: National Guard helicopter lands at Kealakehe High School

Swipe left for more photos

A Kealakehe High School student sits in the cockpit of a Black Hawk Helicopter Wednesday. Courtesy Photo/Special to West Hawaii Today
An Army National Guard Black Hawk Helicopter landed at Kealakehe High School Wednesday to the excitement of the students. Courtesy photo/Special to West Hawaii Today
An Army National Guard Black Hawk Helicopter landed at Kealakehe High School Wednesday to the excitement of the students. Courtesy photo/Special to West Hawaii Today
Chief Warrant Officer 3 Wesley Carter talks to Kealakehe High School students after landing a Black Hawk Helicopter on the campus. Courtesy photo/Special to West Hawaii Today
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Students pray for deliverance from their studies all the time, but few expect relief to come from the heavens as it did Wednesday at Kealakehe High School.

Their delivering angel took the form of a roaring Black Hawk helicopter that interrupted first-period classes by circling the school for a few dramatic minutes, swooping in from the north, and hovering over the baseball field before finally coming to rest in left-centerfield.

“It’s huge!” shouted freshman Sefanna Charley over the roar of the aircraft as it buffeted her and other students in gusts of wind.

She and dozens of other students watched as a team of Hawaii Army National Guard recruiters, including a 2007 graduate of the school, Chief Warrant Officer 3 Wesley Carter, stepped from the aircraft and invited students over for an informal tour.

Students climbed aboard the helicopter and inspected the controls as Carter and his team explained its functions and the types of missions on which it is deployed.

“It’s pretty exciting,” said freshman Paul Iriarte, who is enrolled in the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, like many of the students in attendance. “I thought we were going to fly in it, though.”

Senior Robert Weza didn’t get to fly in it, either, though he strapped on Carter’s helmet and flight vest and sat in the cockpit for a few exhilarating minutes.

“That was fricking sick!” he said afterward.

Weza, also a JROTC student, plans to enlist in the military after graduation, though he is still working with recruiters to determine the best career path for himself.

Like Weza, Carter himself was a senior at Kealakehe when he enlisted in the military.

“I knew I wanted to get my wings when I was 8 years old,” Carter said.

“As a kid you have those dreams of having a super power and flying, but then as I got more mature and I understood the physics of it, that intrigued me.”

Carter grew up in Waikoloa, though he now lives in Hilo and works on the base there. Returning to his alma mater in such dramatic fashion was a memorable experience, he said.

“Today was great. I did not expect that many kids to approach the aircraft,” he said. “Did we actually make an impression on the kids? Maybe. I hope so.”