Merrie Monarch Festival gets $50K donation

Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Hawaii Community Foundation last month announced a $50,000 donation from The Princess Abigail and Veronica Gail Kawananakoa Charitable Fund of the Hawaii Community Foundation to the Merrie Monarch Festival.

Veronica Gail Kawananakoa advised the gift to the Merrie Monarch Festival in honor of her late wife, Princess Abigail Kawananakoa.

“Princess Kawananakoa devoted her life to the preservation of the Hawaiian language and culture, and she esteemed the Merrie Monarch Festival as a fulfillment towards that purpose,” Veronica Gail Kawananakoa said in a press release. “I am grateful that the Merrie Monarch Festival has chosen to recognize my late wife at this year’s festival, and I’m honored to pledge my continued support to the festival, the art of hula, Hawaiian language and Hawaiian culture.”

A check was presented to the Merrie Monarch Festival on Saturday, April 15.

“Princess Kawananakoa loved her people, and she loved her Hawaiian culture, and this gift perpetuates her spirit of giving,” said Luana Kawelu, president of the Merrie Monarch Festival.

Kawelu said shared “a substantial portion” of the funding with the participating halau hula in this year’s festival.