Yang teams up with Galliard quartet for Hilo concert

Courtesy photo A joint concert with pianist Joyce Yang and Honolulu’s Galliard String Quartet will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 9, at the University of Hawaii at Hilo’s Performing Arts Center.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

In the Hawaii Concert Society’s third concert of its 2022-23 season, pianist Joyce Yang will perform with Honolulu’s Galliard String Quartet.

The joint concert, which will include music for solo piano, string quartet, and piano and strings, will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 9, at the University of Hawaii at Hilo’s Performing Arts Center.

Nearly 18 years after capturing a silver medal in the 2005 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition at the ripe old age of 36, Yang has realized her promise by making groundbreaking debut performances all over the world as soloist with major symphony orchestras, as chamber musician, and as a recitalist.

Critically acclaimed as “the most gifted young pianist of her generation” with a “million-volt stage presence,” she has captivated audiences with her virtuosity combined with heartfelt lyricism and interpretive sensitivity.

The Korean-born pianist recalls getting her first piano as a gift for her 4th birthday.

“For my scientific parents, it was an addition to the living room furniture, but for me, it was sort of like this great music box that would make all these beautiful sounds,” she said.

Her aunt had just begun teaching piano, using the Suzuki method, and wanted to try her hand at teaching her niece.

“She did a great job of making the piano very special to me,” Yang said, “a grand, special toy that I would get to play with if I ate my vegetables!”

It wasn’t until several years later, while practicing Beethoven, that she began to appreciate classical music on a deeper level.

“I suddenly felt I heard music for the first time and I got so happy,” said Yang. “For about five minutes I was in complete bliss. I was by myself, doing it over and over in complete ecstasy, excited about what I heard rather than just pressing keys.”

Yang’s partner in the Hilo concert, the Galliard String Quartet, is Hawaii’s premiere string ensemble.

An integral part of Chamber Music Hawaii, the quartet consists of Helen Liu and Hung Wu (violins), Anna Womack (viola) and Sung Chan Chang (cello).

The quartet’s normal repertoire spans the centuries from Bach to the present, from classical staples to music by Queen Lili‘uokalani and Keola Beamer.

While the Hilo concert will include pieces for string quartet (two compositions by contemporary Mexican composer Jose Elizondo), as well as music for piano solo (three Rachmaninoff preludes from his Op. 32 and five selections from Tchaikovsky’s Seasons), the highlight will undoubtedly be Johannes Brahms’ beloved Piano Quintet composed in 1864.

Tickets ($25 general admission/$20 for those 60-plus/$10 for students) for the concert are now available at the Most Irresistible Shop and Music Exchange. Tickets will also be available on the evening of the concert at the theater’s Box Office from 6:45 p.m.

Yang will also give a master class for six East Hawaii piano students on Tuesday, Jan. 10, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the First United Protestant Church, 1350 Waianuenue Ave. The public is cordially invited to attend.

Earlier that day, the Galliard Quartet will give two educational programs for music students at Hilo High School and at Kamehameha Schools Hawaii.