EHCC exhibit explores themes of personal and collective grief

Courtesy photo Scene from the exhibit "Grief," now on display at EHCC.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Through the exhibition “Grief” at the East Hawaii Cultural Center, now on display, international artist and educator Douglas Diaz examines his personal grieving process in a world overwhelmed by the global pandemic.

The Brooklyn, NY-born artist has spent the last several years living in Indonesia and Japan. His recent work was created in response to a shattering change in his daily existence, when his life was forever altered by the loss of a beloved partner.

This was followed by the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic. When these two profound events overlapped, the artist’s personal grief intertwined with a collective pain and confusion. To cope with these devastating circumstances, Diaz turned to the creative process searching for solace and answers.

“In my attempt to not fully drown in grief, I started painting,” Diaz said.

“Yearning for the catharsis that I find in each gesture and stroke, hoping that grieving will serve as an act of healing. I began to wonder, how do we grieve? What is the appropriate amount of time? What purpose does grieving have? How can we make sense of our own personal loss when the world seems to be swept up in a global pandemic (viral, political, social, environmental) that trivializes our individual pain?”

These questions are not necessarily meant to be resolved. Rather, the artist’s work encourages insight into our experiences.

In addition to the exhibit works, Diaz will paint at a temporary studio at various times throughout the run of the exhibition.

The exhibit is open through Jan. 28. For more information, visit ehcc.org, call 961-5711, or visit the gallery at 141 Kalakaua Street.

Current hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Friday, and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Masks are required and EHCC observes COVID safety protocols.