Proud in Pink: ACS announces campaign for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The Big Island’s candidates for this year’s Real Men Wear Pink campaign are (clockwise from top left): Ryan McGrady, Tyson Klask, Timothy Ashcraft, Simon Kaufman, Darwin Okinaka and Darrin “DC” Carlson. (Courtesy photo/West Hawaii Today)
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

This October, don’t be surprised to see more men around the Big Island wearing pink. The American Cancer Society Hawaii Island’s Real Men Wear Pink campaign is running all month to raise awareness and money all throughout Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

This year, six candidates from the Big Island will wear pink throughout the month of October as they compete to raise the most money. The Big Island’s candidates, Timothy Ashcraft, Tyson Klask, Ryan McGrady, Darrin “DC” Carlson, Simon Kaufman and Darwin Okinaka, will also be competing against men from each island around the state for the first time.

“This is the first year that we’re joining forces — West Hawaii has had a couple of Real Men Wear Pink before – but this year we’re joining with Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island that are participating,” said Sarah Luchenbill, senior community development manager for American Cancer Society. “Usually we’re all separate, but this year, we’re joining all the Hawaii candidates together.”

Those interested in donating to any of the candidates can do so and find more information at realmenwearpinkacs.org/hawaii.

“The more we can do to support the cause, the better,” said Okinaka, the County of Hawaii’s assistant fire chief. “It is making a difference.”

In addition to the Real Men Wear Pink campaign, ACS will put on events throughout the month to raise awareness for fighting the disease that’s the highest diagnosed cancer in Hawaii.

Typically, the Pink Out Color Run is the highlight; due to COVID restrictions, this year’s run will take place virtually from Oct. 5 through Oct. 30.

“Last year, we had a great turnout; it more than doubled in size. Unfortunately, with the restrictions for gathering and for the safety of everybody, what we’ve had to do is change it into a virtual event,” Luchenbill said. “We’re going to do a virtual map and have people participate virtually. We’re doing healthy tips: focusing on eating healthy and getting out there and working out.”

ACS will also put on a pair of virtual Zumba events and end the month with its Beautiful Bra Contest, where a chance to win a staycation at the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort is up for grabs. Luchenbill is particularly excited about the month’s first event: the all-female Pink Laughs comedy show.

“It’s an hour-long show that features a local comedian here in Hawaii,” Luchenbill said. “We have some well-known comics throughout the United States joining us from California. One is Gayla Johnson; she’s a well-known comic and actress.”

The online comedy show will take place at 7 p.m. tonight via Zoom. Tickets for the virtual show can be purchased at charity.gofundme.com/pinklaughs. More information about events on the Big Island can be found at pinkoutcolorrunhilo.org.

ACS Hawaii Island has a goal of raising more than $10,000 by the end of the month. The fight hits particularly close to home for Okinaka, who lost his mother to breast cancer more than 25 years ago.

“My children have never met their grandmother, whom they have grown to know as ‘Nana.’ They only know her by pictures and the stories that we share of her,” Okinaka said. “The effect that this has had on my children is the most devastating loss that I have had to deal with, and it affects me each day in my life. So what better way to address the situation than to help support a cause, to fight for a cure?”

Email Tom Linder at tlinder@westhawaiitoday.com.