Artists invited to enter Abstract Only! 10th anniversary exhibit

Courtesy photo Juror’s Choice Award winner from the 2019 Abstract Only! exhibit “Inequality” by Bob Douglas.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Along with most events in this uncertain climate, the popular “Abstract Only! 10th Anniversary Exhibit” at Wailoa Center in Hilo was moved from its August time slot and now will happen in October.

Sponsored by the Hawaii Island Art Alliance, artists have until Sept. 11 to submit original abstract art for consideration through the online submission service CAFÉ, callforentry.org. Artists can submit up to five entries at $15 per entry (non-refundable).

The exhibit is open to all Hawaii residents as well the continental United States.

Hawaii Island Art Alliance will offer a “Help Day” from 1-3 p.m. Sept. 9 for artists who need assistance with the submission process. Reservations are required.

Go to callforentry.org and search “Abstract Only!” for all the details and information about submitting a piece for the exhibit.

For additional information, email hiartalliance@gmail.com or call Wailoa Center at 933-0416.

Artists will be notified Sept. 14 of the juried results.

Through the sponsorship of Hawaii Island Art Alliance, accepted art from Kona artists will be picked up at 10 a.m. Sept. 25 at the Donkey Mill Art Center in Holualoa. Art accepted on the Hilo side will need to be delivered

This year’s juror and founder of the “Abstract Only!” exhibit is Wailoa Center Director Codie M. King.

King says she will rely on intuitive concept of what abstract art is to her, as well as the use of formal considerations of composition, line, color and texture.

“I want to be surprised and motivated by your abstract art, which will allow me to create my own story of what I see,” she says.

To submit art for consideration:

• Artwork in all mediums will be accepted. Only artwork created in the past two years and has not been in a previous juried exhibit or has not been previously exhibited at Wailoa Center will be accepted.

• Artwork must be framed and ready to hang or be easily installed. Gallery wrapped canvases (no exposed staples) will be accepted.

• No sawtooth hangers, no giclee reproduction prints or enhanced giclees of original art will be accepted.

• Digital art and photographs are OK.

Entries will be rejected if they do not meet these criteria or are deemed inappropriate for public view.

The State Foundation for Culture and Arts Acquisition Award Selection Committee will be coming to Wailoa Center to review the exhibit. Monetary prizes will be awarded.