Winners announced in 11th annual ‘Hawai‘i Nei’ juried art exhibit

Swipe left for more photos

Courtesy image This piece by Lynn Capell was not only a winner in the adult divisions of this year’s “Hawai‘i Nei” exhibit at Wailoa Center in Hilo, it was also a Juror’s Choice.
Courtesy image This piece by Ainsley Smitho was one of the winners in the youth divisions of this year’s “Hawai‘i Nei” exhibit at Wailoa Center in Hilo.
Courtesy image This piece by Ezra Monello was one of the winners in the youth divisions of this year’s “Hawai‘i Nei” exhibit at Wailoa Center in Hilo.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

The 11th annual “Hawai‘i Nei” Art Exhibition opened Nov. 1 at the Wailoa Center in Hilo.

Artists of all ages entered works of art celebrating the native flora and fauna of Hawaii Island. More than 500 people attended the opening reception and enjoyed live music, awards and the native species costume contest.

Winners of this year’s juried exhibition for the adult divisions included Lynn Capell (Juror’s Choice), Diana Miller, Andy Feifarek, Kathleen Carr, Howard Bradley, Lorraine Waianuhea, Alex Wang, Bonnie Hahn, Jelena Clay, David Ford, Claire Seastone and Norman Negre.

Winners for this year’s youth divisions included Ka ‘Umeke Ka‘eo (Jurorʻs Choice), Noah Cunningham, Makenzie Davis, Eva Moore, Miley Auth, Ainsley Smith, Mercy Dunn, Ka‘opualani Puniwai-Ganoot, Ezra Monello, Ka‘onohi Puniwai-Ganoot, Ava Baker, Damia Burns, Tara Davis, Christian Hunt, Ben Birk, Ha‘aheo Elementary School fourth grade with kumu Helena Costa, Waiakea Intermediate art class with kumu Carrie Edgil, Saybri Enos, Brady Shiroma, Khloe Ontiveros, Jaxon Smith, Senaka Reddy, Quincy Tobey, Alayna York, Malika Bernal, Tiffany Wong, Jasmine Christie, Jubilee Nelson, Volcano School of Arts and Sciences third and fourth grade with kumu Laura Warner, Anwar Genz and Ava Yamanaka.

Artwork will be displayed from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays through Dec. 12 at the Wailoa Center.

Additionally, there are several events and workshops coinciding with the exhibition, including an upcoming holiday reception from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6, during which Volcano Art Center will announce its selection of artists chosen for its “Hawai‘i Nei” invitational exhibit during the summer of 2020.

Entertainment during the reception will be provided by the Puna Men’s Chorus, which will singing holiday songs along with encouraging sing-alongs. There also will be block printing stations for creating wrapping paper designs.

From 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, “Hawai’i Nei” will host a holiday wrapping paper and block print workshop for a small donation.

For additional information, call 933-0416 or email wailoa@yahoo.com.

Wailoa Center is located at 200 Piopio St.