Amy Hanalali’i concert to benefit Hulihee Palace

Swipe left for more photos

Hulihee Palace and its grounds in Kailua-Kona. Amy Hanaiali‘i this weekend headlines a concert benefitting the 181-year-old royal palace. (CHELSEA JENSEN/West Hawaii Today file photo)
The concert Saturday at Hulihee Palace is a release party for Hanaiali‘i’s 15th album, "Kalawai‘anui." (Courtesy photo/Special to West Hawaii Today)
Amy Hanaiali'i is slated to perform Saturday at Hulihee Palace. (Courtesy photo/Special to West Hawaii Today)
Hulihee Palace and its grounds in Kailua-Kona. Amy Hanaiali‘i this weekend headlines a concert benefitting the 181-year-old royal palace. (CHELSEA JENSEN/West Hawaii Today file photo)
The Grand Banyan tree on the palace grounds is shown. Amy Hanaiali‘i this weekend headlines a concert benefitting the preservation and maintenance of 181-year-old royal palace. Among the maintenance work is hiring a professional crew to provide some TLC for the tree planted Queen Kapiolani and King Kalakaua from a cutting taken from the Great Banyan at Iolani Palace, which was gifted to the couple by Indian royalty, according to Anita Okimoto, palace office manager. (Chelsea Jensen/West Hawaii Today)
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

KAILUA VILLAGE — Beloved Hawaiian vocalist and songwriter Amy Hanaiali‘i will grace the stage this weekend at Hulihee Palace.

The concert, featuring the five-time Grammy nominee and winner of 18 Na Hoku Hanohano awards, is slated for 4-9 p.m. today on the royal palace grounds fronting Kailua Bay. Joining Hanaiali‘i will be guest artist John Cruz, Halau Na Kipu‘upu‘u as well as other local musicians.

“This is a benefit for the preservation and maintenance of Hulihee Palace,” said Kanoelehua Renaud, executive director of the Daughters of Hawaii, caretakers for the palace, the birth site of Kamehameha III at Keauhou Bay, and Queen Emma’s Summer Palace on Oahu. “We want to invite everyone to come and experience how special this place is, learn a little bit about what it means for us in terms of history and the monarchy, and really just enjoy the time.”

Proceeds will go toward the preservation and maintenance of the 181-year-old royal palace, one of just three found in the United States that are all located in Hawaii.

Constructed in 1838 by Gov. John Adams Kuakini, Hulihee Palace was the Kona residence of Princess Ruth before Kind David Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani revamped it for use as a summer palace.

“Hulihee Palace is important because it preserves a glimpse in time that isn’t here anymore. It is worthy of preservation because it holds the mana of our Ali’i, Royals,” said Hanaiali‘i, who’s performed several benefit concerts at the palace, including in 2015 for the “Pomp &Circumstance Ball.” “It’s a timeless expression of our culture.”

“Kalawai‘anui” is also a release party for Hanaiali‘i’s 15th album as is a performance slated Sunday in Waimea. Heavy pupus will be included with libations available for purchase. General admission tickets are $35.

VIP cabanas will be available for $350, which includes entry for five and access to a pre-show meet-and-greet with a champagne toast. VIP tickets also include drink service and a gift bag from Dezigns by Kamohoalii and other sponsors.

There’s no dress code, “but we do ask everybody to remember where they are. This is a palace, the home of our alii,” Renaud said.

The Sunday show is set for noon-4 p.m. at Puukapu Hawaiian Homes in Waimea. Tickets are $35-$85.

Tickets for the shows, as well as details, are available at www.eventbrite.com/o/amy-hanaialii-27822458385.

The Daughters of Hawaii purchased the palace in 1925, after blocking attempts by private companies to purchase the site after it went up for sale in 1914.

The nonprofit complete the first restoration in 1927, followed by subsequent restorations in 1976 and 2007 following the October 2006 earthquakes.

Monies raised from Saturday’s festivities will go toward the nonprofit’s efforts to maintain and preserve the palace and its collection, as well as helping the state fund another multi-million restoration in the coming years.

The palace is administered by the Division of State Parks, but is managed by the Daughters of Hawaii under a long-term lease.