Orchid show raises thousands for scholarships

Courtesy photo Aaron Shipman and Daniel Dunnom are the 2018-19 recipients of the Yasuji Takasaki Scholarship awarded by the Hilo Orchid Society. The $3,000 each received for studies at the University of Hawaii at Hilo are raised during the annual orchid show at Edith Kanaka‘ole Stadium.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Education is a top priority for the Hilo Orchid Society.

The society funds the Yasuji Takasaki Memorial Scholarship for University of Hawaii at Hilo students studying botany or horticulture. Takasaki was the founder of Carmela Orchids and a strong proponent of the value of college education.

Hilo Orchid Society already paid out more than $30,000 to students and is accepting applications for the next cycle of recipients. Money for the scholarship comes from a silent auction of items donated by local businesses and individuals that is hosted during the annual orchid show in June.

This year’s show and sale will run Friday through Sunday.

Harry Messenheimer is chairing the auction this year.

Although he lost his beautiful home and palm garden in Leilani Estates to last year’s Kilauea eruption, Messenheimer continues to contribute to the community.

“I was sad to lose my garden,” Messenheimer said, “but happy for this opportunity to shift my attention to the enduring growth of knowledge as well as plants. I’ve worked on similar fundraisers in the past, and this should be a good match to my skill set.”

To learn more about the scholarship, see previous winners, apply for funding or make a donation to the silent auction, visit www.hiloorchidsociety.org.