Experience Polynesian culture during the 7th annual Heiva I Keaukaha

Courtesy photo Merahi Productions vahine perform during the 2018 Merrie Monarch Festival.
Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Merahi Productions, a Tahitian halau from Hilo, will present its seventh annual Heiva I Keaukaha from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at the Kawananakoa Gym located at 156 Baker Ave. in Keaukaha.

Heiva I Keaukaha features a full day of solo and group competitions as well as craft and food vendors and music. This year, groups are coming from Hilo, Kona and Oahu to compete in this culture exhibition competition. There also is a special guest performance planned.

Merahi Productions proudly perpetuates Polynesian culture through this year through its rendition of Ote‘a Morei. The halau’s vahine will tell of how the hau is used to make morei skirts. The hau, or Hibiscus tiliaceus, is a plant found throughout Polynesia and is held in high regard for its usefulness to the traditional life of oceanic people.

Merahi vahine will portray — through their intricate choreography — how the hau is stripped and washed and dried until the texture is suitable for braiding into a morei skirt. They will dance in celebration in their newly made morei skirts and exhibit their vibrant beauty and motions.

The tamari‘i (children) of Merahi also will tell of how they strip and peel morei and how they give thanks and praise to the hau tree for allowing them the materials needed to make their morei skirts.

Tickets for Saturday’s event are $5 pre-sale or $8 at the door. Children 4 and younger are free.

For more information, a full list of group and solo categories or to download an application to participate, visit www.merahiproductions.wix.com/merahi.