Lincoln to deliver keynote address at spring commencement

Subscribe Now Choose a package that suits your preferences.
Start Free Account Get access to 7 premium stories every month for FREE!
Already a Subscriber? Current print subscriber? Activate your complimentary Digital account.

Hawaii News Now reporter Mileka Lincoln will deliver the keynote address at the University of Hawaii at Hilo 2019 Spring Commencement at 9 a.m. Saturday at Edith Kanaka‘ole Stadium.

Doors open at 8:15 a.m. for general admission, with seating on a first-come, first-served basis. When seating reaches capacity, guests may view the ceremony via a live stream at Aunty Sally’s Luau House.

Approximately 640 students have petitioned for degrees and/or certificates from the colleges of Arts and Sciences, Natural and Health Sciences, Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management, Business and Economics, Pharmacy, Ka Haka ‘Ula O Ke‘elikolani College of Hawaiian Language, and for various post-graduate credentials.

After more than a decade away, Lincoln returned to her hometown Hawaii Island in 2013 to fulfill her dream of working as a journalist. She graduated from Hawaii Preparatory Academy in Waimea, and was magna cum laude from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles.

“Now I’m finally home! It’s a dream come true – made possible by timing, a lot of luck, and hopefully, a little fate! Over the last six years, I’ve shared the magic that is Merrie Monarch, I’ve traveled to Manhattan to highlight Hokule‘a and the incredible Worldwide Voyage, I’ve reported on landmark legislation when Hawaii legalized same-sex marriage, I’ve covered hurricanes and lava flows – and along the way I have met some of the most amazing people.

“It is truly humbling to have the opportunity to share the stories of my own community. It’s a kuleana I don’t take lightly and a privilege that I cherish!”

Misty Figueira, who will receive her B.A. in English and Sociology as well as a Creative Writing Certificate, is student speaker.

A 2014 cum laude graduate of Pahoa High School, Figueira is currently a student assistant with UH-Hilo’s Campus and Community Service and National Student Exchange offices. She also works as an Uplink Club Leader and Tutor at Waiakea Intermediate School, and previously served as a peer advisor and English tutor with various University departments.

Figueira aspires to be a high school English teacher and an active community member of Hawaii Island.